|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The topic of this article is of a real-life subject that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really existed), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
In 1997, Once Ginevra Weasley had begun dating Harry Potter, Ginny complained that after three Dementor attacks in a week, the only thing that Romilda Vane was interested in asking her was whether Harry had a hippogriff tattooed on his chest. Harry asked what she told her, and Ginny replied that she had said that it was "...a Hungarian Horntail. Much more macho," referential of Harry's evasion of a Hungarian Horntail dragon in the Triwizard Tournament to capture the Golden egg clue.
Later that year, Harry then asked what type of tattoo she had said Ron has, and she replied "A Pygmy Puff, but I didn't say where." At this, Ron scowled and threatened to withdraw his "permission," referring to his belief that Harry and Ginny's relationship required his permission.
In the following school year, as Ron transformed into Harry via the use of Polyjuice Potion during the famous "Seven Potters" operation, he observed his bare chest and commented "I knew Ginny was lying about that tattoo."
Behind the scenes
- The application of normal, non-temporary Muggle tattoos can be painful, and it seems unlikely that it would be used in the Wizarding world, but likely that they could be applied by some form of magic, likely a charm or Human Transfiguration.
- An associate of Ollivanders at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter referred to a customer's tattoos as "odd Muggle stuff."
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Mentioned only)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault (Appears in concept artwork)
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault
Notes and references
- Tattoo on Wikipedia
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 25 (The Seer Overheard)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 4 (The Seven Potters)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 33 (The Death Eaters)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Act Three, Scene Thirteen
- See this video.