- Temeritus: "Ere, blimey, if it isn't Harry Potter! Read all about you I has. Everything. Always in the paper you are."
- Harry Potter: "Er, yeah. Only, most of it's not true."
- Temeritus: "Not true?! Not true?! Aw, it's in black and white innit? Got to be true."
- — Termeritus believed everything he read[src]
Temeritus Shanks was a wizard. He seemed to like reading newspapers, and was interested in knowing the headlines of the day. He believed every word he read in the Daily Prophet, including the stories about Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore published during the 1995–1996 school year. There are portraits of him hung on the walls of Hogwarts Castle.
By 1995, Shanks had a portrait hung at the Hogwarts Library, guarding a shortcut to the fourth-floor corridor, under the password "No news is good news". Said shortcut was reserved to the staff only. When Harry Potter, who was being highly discredited by the Daily Prophet at the time, asked if he could use this secret passageway, Shanks made an exception for the student was constantly featured on the paper. The portrait agreed to give the student the password in exchange for the headline of the day ("TRAGIC DEMISE OF MINISTRY OF MAGIC WORKER", concerning Broderick Bode's assassination).
Shanks's portrait was kept at the same place at the Library, but hiding a different shortcut, leading to the Grand Staircase. The new password was "Happy Headlines". The same shortcut could also lead to the second-floor corridor. When Shanks heard Harry Potter talking to Hermione Granger about Draco Malfoy's mysterious endeavours at the seventh floor, he gladly told him the new password in order to help him on what he deemed a "big scoop".
Personality and traits
Temeritus Shanks was quite a naive and gullible wizard, believing everything he read on the papers. Despite this he was brave, speaking Lord Voldemort's name out loud when he was at large. He would gladly help students in matters he deemed to be sensational, to the point of giving his password to them despite the passageway being reserved only to the staff.
Behind the scenes
- Shanks may have passed away sometime prior to 1991 as many portraits hung at Hogwarts Castle depict deceased individuals.
- Temeritus was voiced in both the video game version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince video games by Jonathan Kydd.
- Shanks's portrait was based on a real-world portrait of a young King James I of England.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (First appearance) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (PS1 version only) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Appears in portrait(s)) (First identified as Temeritus Shanks)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter Limited Edition
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) - Chapter 22 (The Diary)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) - GBA version
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) - NDS version
- Seen under the entrance to the Grand Staircase.
|Second-floor of Hogwarts Castle|
|Gargoyle Corridor · Second-floor corridor|
|Halls and rooms|
|Potions storeroom · Second-floor arcade · Second-floor foyer · Second-floor hall · Second-floor secret storeroom · Moaning Myrtle's Bathroom|
|Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher's office|
|No entry due to flooding - Mr Filch|
|Portraits, statues and other artwork|
|Anne Boleyn · Bust of a medieval wizard · Basil Fronsac · Map of Argyllshire · Painting of apples · Temeritus Shanks ·Wizarding family|
|Staircase to the ground-floor · Staircase between the first and second-floor corridors · Staircase to the library corridor · Staircase to the third-floor|
|Locations on the fourth floor|
|Portraits, statues and other artwork located on the fourth floor|
|Locations on the sixth floor|
Classroom 6A · Classroom 6B · Corridor · Disused bathroom · East Wing · Empty classroom · Floor 6 Bonus · Glanmore Peakes' Corridor · Horace Slughorn's office · Room of Rewards · Storeroom · Trophy Room · Writing Supplies Room · Staircase between the sixth-floor and seventh-floor corridor
|Portraits, statues and other artwork located on the sixth floor|
Damara Dodderidge · Edgar Stroulger · Edessa Sakndenberg · Glanmore Peakes · Selina Sapworthy · Skeleton in a top hat · Portrait in storeroom · Temeritus Shanks · Vindictus Viridian · Wendelin the Weird