At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in: Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery & Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells & Harry Potter: Magic Awakened.
- Ronald Weasley: "Right. What can you see in mine?"
- Harry Potter: "A load of soggy brown stuff."
- — Harry Potter's first attempt at tessomancy[src]
Tessomancy was the magical art of reading tea leaves to predict events in the future. Tessomancy was taught as part of the Divination course at Hogwarts, in the third year and sixth year.
- "My turn ... There's a blob a bit like a bowler hat. Maybe you're going to work for the Ministry of Magic.... But this way it looks more like an acorn.... What's that? A windfall, unexpected gold. Excellent, you can lend me some ... and there's a thing here, that looks like an animal ... yeah, if that was its head ... it looks like a hippo ... no, a sheep ..."
- — Ron Weasley reading Harry Potter's tea leaves[src]
At the start of the 1993–1994 school year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, during the first third-year Divination lesson of the school year, Professor Trelawney read the tea leaves in Harry Potter's cup and saw four things: the falcon, a deadly enemy; the club, an attack; the skull, danger in your path and the Grim, a spectral dog which was an omen of death.
Tea leaf symbols
From Unfogging the Future, pages five and six:
- Acorn - "windfall, unexpected gold"
- Club - "an attack"
- Cross - "trials and suffering"
- Falcon - "a deadly enemy"
- The Grim - "death"
- Skull - "danger in your path"
- Sun - "great happiness"
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (First identified as Tessomancy)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (GBA version only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened (Mentioned in History of Magic classes)
Notes and references
|Professors: Sybill Trelawney · Firenze|
|Known Seers: Calchas · Cassandra Vablatsky · Cassandra Trelawney · Gellert Grindelwald · Inigo Imago · Johan Hoffman · Liz Tuttle's mother · Mopsus · Professor Mopsus · Susie Sooth · Tycho Dodonus · Unidentified Canadian Seer · Unidentified female Seer · Unidentified male Seer|
|Textbooks: The Dream Oracle · Unfogging the Future|
|Methods: Astrology · Bibliomancy · Capnomancy · Cartomancy · Catoptromancy · Crystal-gazing · Crystal ball · Dream interpretation · Fire-omens · Heptomology · Horoscope · Ichthyomancy · Myomancy · Ornithomancy · Orrery · Ovomancy · Palmistry · Personal chart · Phyllomancy · Prophecy · Rune stone · Scrying mirror · Tarot cards · Tessomancy · Xylomancy|
|Divination at Hogwarts: Divination (class) · Divination Classroom · Divination staircase · Sybill Trelawney's office · Classroom 11 · Xylomancy (class)|