At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in: Harry Potter: Magic Awakened & Harry Potter: Wizards Unite & Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery.
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection was a book authored by Professor Quentin Trimble. This book provided insight and information on various dark creatures; it also contained some information on how to cast certain defensive and offensive spells, such as the Knockback Jinx and the Wand-Lighting Charm.
It was a required textbook for both first year and fourth year Defence Against the Dark Arts students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This book was an item on the 1991 school list of mandatory required textbooks.
- Curse of the Bogies
- Green Sparks
- Red Sparks
- Knockback Jinx
- Smokescreen Spell
- Wand-Lighting Charm
- Wand-Extinguishing Charm
- Hags - The hag is a child-eating creature of human appearance, though likely to have more warts than the average witch.
- Red Caps - Avoid the Red Cap, a Dark dwarfish creature that lurks in places where blood has been shed and will attempt to bludgeon the unwary to death.
- Vampires - Noted to be members of the Living Dead, along with Zombies.
- Werewolf Bites - Werewolf bites should be thoroughly and magically cleaned, as the werewolf’s fangs are venomous. However, there is no cure once you have become a werewolf, so try and avoid being bitten at all costs.
- Zombies - The Zombie dwells only in the Southern part of America. It is an example, like the Vampire, of the Living Dead and may be recognised by its greyish colour and its rotten smell.
Behind the scenes
- It is possible, given that this was the required textbook for that year and that "Moody" wanted his class to read about resisting the Imperius Curse, that such a topic was covered in this book.
- In the console versions of the Prisoner of Azkaban video game, Fred and George's shop has three chapters of the same book. It can only be accessed by Hermione Granger in the lead, at which point the twins will challenge her to find nine statues around Hogwarts and every three statues found grants her access to one of the chapters. The first and second chapter grants her the knowledge to cast more powerful versions of the Knockback Jinx and the Disarming Charm respectively, while the final chapter grants her the knowledge for faster casting speed for all spells, even the non-combative ones. It also extends to Harry and Ron, as Fred and George told Hermoine to teach the two what she learned from the book's chapters.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Console versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- The Art of Harry Potter Mini Book of Graphic Design
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened (Mentioned in History of Magic classes)