The introduction took twenty minutes to read, As a double lesson was an hour, a single hour must therefore be half an hour. Ten minutes left for dream interpretation subtracted from half an hour total class time equaled twenty minutes of reading time.</ref> and was known to provide some information on dream interpretation.
It was required for Professor Trelawney's fifth year divination classes. Professor Trelawney had already set them out on the tables in the Divination Classroom rather than having her students buy them and at the end of each lesson the books remain in the classroom until next time, something unusual at Hogwarts.
When Trelawney was placed on probation by the High Inquisitor, her frustration made her slam a copy of The Dream Oracle in between Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley, throw one at Seamus Finnigan so that it narrowly missed his ear, and thrust one at Neville Longbottom with such force that he slipped off his pouffe. When everyone was staring at her with surprise, she sarcastically asked them if she was such a substandard teacher that she never taught them how to open the book.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 12 (Professor Umbridge)
- The only other times students didn't need to buy their textbooks were when they already owned them (as with The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection in Moody's class) or (in the film adaptation only) Dark Arts Defence: Basics for Beginners given out by Professor Umbridge.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 20 (Hagrid's Tale)
|Professors: Sybill Trelawney · Firenze|
|Known Seers: Calchas · Cassandra Vablatsky · Cassandra Trelawney · Gellert Grindelwald · Inigo Imago · Johan Hoffman · Liz Tuttle's mother · Mopsus · Professor Mopsus · Susie Sooth · Tycho Dodonus · Unidentified Canadian Seer · Unidentified female Seer · Unidentified male Seer|
|Textbooks: The Dream Oracle · Unfogging the Future|
|Methods: Astrology · Bibliomancy · Cartomancy · Catoptromancy · Crystal-gazing · Crystal ball · Dream interpretation · Fire-omens · Heptomology · Ichthyomancy · Myomancy · Ornithomancy · Ovomancy · Palmistry · Scrying mirror · Tarot cards · Tessomancy · Xylomancy|
|Divination at Hogwarts: Divination (class) · Divination Classroom · Divination staircase · Sybill Trelawney's office · Classroom 11 · Xylomancy (class)|