At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
For gameplay-specific information, please see the relevant article on the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Wiki!
The Essential Defence Against the Dark Arts, also known simply as Defence Against the Dark Arts is a book on fighting the dark arts, written by Arsenius Jigger sometime before 1993. It is published by Luca Books.
- Red Caps
- Werewolves (covered on page 394)
Behind the scenes
- In what is presumed to be an easter egg by prop designers, the bulk of what can be seen of the book's text has been taken from the 1995 video game The Beast Within, and as such, should not necessarily be considered canon to the Harry Potter universe. The original text can be found here.
- There are at least two different versions of the prop for this book. The version sold by MinaLima Design has the text on the cover composed of random letters, while the one showcased at Harry Potter: The Exhibition (seen at the top of this page) has the letters form various words related to the series.
- This book was not listed on the third year supplies list. It is possible that it was handed out by Professor Lupin at the start of the year, similar to what Professor Sybill Trelawney did with The Dream Oracle two years later.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance) (Not by name)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (First identified as The Essential Defence Against the Dark Arts)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- The Art of Harry Potter Mini Book of Graphic Design