- "Theories on why Muggles don't notice magic."
The Philosophy of the Mundane: Why the Muggles Prefer Not to Know is a book written by Professor Mordicus Egg. Published in 1963, the book examines the Muggle tendency to ignore magical happenings, even with the most flimsy of excuses. It is sold at Flourish and Blotts.
Among the subjects covered within the book is the reasoning behind why Muggles will find it easier to accept they have misheard something when accidentally tuning into a wizarding radio station or that they have hallucinated seeing a wizarding television program, or that they have lost their keys, when actually they have been sold shrinking door keys. It is possible that the book also covers Muggle-baiting.
It is also pointed out in this work that Muggles in love with wizards generally do not betray their husbands or wives, and Muggles who fall out of love are jeered at by their own community when they assert that their estranged partner is a witch or wizard. The work states that those are reasons why Muggle/wizard marriages have not led to widespread discovery of the hidden magical community.
Behind the scenes
- The three faces on the book's cover are a variant on the three wise monkeys done with human (presumably Muggle) faces in place of monkeys. As the original three monkeys represent seeing, hearing, and speaking no evil respectively, it can be assumed the faces are meant to symbolise how Muggles neither see, hear of, nor speak of the wizarding world.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the prop used to represent this book in the Flourish and Blotts sequence erroneously presented the author as Jodie Pritchard. However Jodie could merely have been publishing that version of the book.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First mentioned)
- The Art of Harry Potter Mini Book of Graphic Design
Notes and references
|Professors: Quirinus Quirrell · Male Teacher · Charity Burbage · Alecto Carrow|
|Classrooms: Muggle Studies Classroom · Muggle Studies showroom · Fifth Floor classroom|
|Textbooks: Cooking the Muggle Way · Home Life and Social Habits of British Muggles · Moronic Muggles · Muggles Who Notice · My Life as a Muggle · The Philosophy of the Mundane: Why the Muggles Prefer Not to Know · When Muggles Attack|