- "Theories on why Muggles don't notice magic."
The Philosophy of the Mundane: Why the Muggles Prefer Not to Know was a book written by Professor Mordicus Egg. Published in 1963, the book examined the Muggle tendency to ignore magical happenings, even with the most flimsy of excuses. It was sold at Flourish and Blotts.
Among the subjects covered within the book was the reasoning behind why Muggles would find it easier to accept they misheard something when accidentally tuning into a wizarding radio station or that they hallucinated seeing a wizarding television programme, or that they lost their keys, when actually they had been sold shrinking door keys. It is possible that the book also covered Muggle-baiting.
It is also pointed out in this work that Muggles in love with wizards generally did not betray their husbands or wives, and Muggles who fell out of love were jeered at by their own community when they asserted that their estranged partner was a witch or wizard. The work stated that those were reasons why Muggle/wizard marriages did not lead to widespread discovery of the hidden magical community.
Behind the scenes
- The three faces on the book's cover are a variant on the three wise monkeys done with human (presumably Muggle) faces in place of monkeys. As the original three monkeys represent seeing, hearing, and speaking no evil respectively, it can be assumed the faces are meant to symbolise how Muggles neither see, hear of, nor speak of the wizarding world.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the prop used to represent this book in the Flourish and Blotts sequence erroneously presented the author as Jodie Pritchard. However Jodie could merely have been publishing that version of the book.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First mentioned)
- Wizarding World
- The Art of Harry Potter Mini Book of Graphic Design
Notes and references
|Professors: Quirinus Quirrell · Arif Sikander · Unidentified male professor · Charity Burbage · Alecto Carrow|
|Classrooms: Muggle Studies Classroom · Muggle Studies showroom · Fifth Floor classroom|
|Textbooks: Cooking the Muggle Way · Home Life and Social Habits of British Muggles · Moronic Muggles · Muggles Who Notice · My Life as a Muggle · The Philosophy of the Mundane: Why the Muggles Prefer Not to Know · When Muggles Attack|
|Subjects: Explain Why Muggles Need Electricity · Rotary phone|