- "An indispensable guide to your basic magical needs."
The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1 is the first book in The Standard Book of Spells series, written by Miranda Goshawk. It is a required textbook for first year students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Charm''s differ from Transfiguring Spells in the following manner: a charm adds certain properties to an object or creature, whereas a transfiguring spell will change it into something utterly different.
The lesser charms are not very difficult to break and many of those that you learn as a young wizard will wear off in a matter of days or even hours.
Lapses in concentration while charming can result in painful side effects – remember Wizard Baruffio, who said ‘s’ instead of ‘f’ and found himself lying on the floor with a buffalo on his chest.
Some charms will be ineffective on large creatures such as trolls, whose hides repel all but the more powerful spells.
- Wand-Lighting Charm (Chapter 2)
- Softening Charm
- Severing Charm
- Fire-Making Spell
- Unlocking Charm
- Levitation Charm (Chapter 7)
- Locking Spell
- Mending Charm
Behind the scenes
- In the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, the Knockback Jinx is learned from this book. However, the book's description in Pottermore states: "Dark charms are known as jinxes, hexes and curses. This book does not deal with such spells."
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 5 (Diagon Alley)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Pottermore (see this image)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Ginny Weasley presumably purchased this book at Flourish and Blotts, and was one of the ones seen when Lucius Malfoy slipped Tom Riddle's diary to her.
|Grade 1 · Grade 2 · Grade 3 · Grade 4 · Grade 5 · Grade 6 · Grade 7|
|Charms included in the series: Banishing Charm · Dancing Feet Spell · Engorgement Charm · Fire-Making Spell · Freezing Charm · General Counter-Spell · Levitation Charm · Locking Spell · Memory Charm · Mending Charm · Severing Charm · Softening Charm · Substantive Charm · Summoning Charm · Tickling Charm · Unlocking Charm|