The name "Tobias" is the Greek form of Tobiah. This is the name of the hero of the apocryphal Book of Tobit in many English versions of the Old Testament. It relates how Tobias, with the help of the archangel Raphael, is able to drive away a demon who has been plaguing Sarah, who subsequently becomes his wife. It is also known that he shares the same first name as that of Tobias Snape, who is the Muggle father of Severus Snape.
Behind the scenes
- Misslethorpe's portrait was based on an 1881 elegiac of Prime-Minister Benjamin Disraeli, by John Everett Millais (1829–1896). The face, however, was modelled after Barry Wilkinson, the props master on all eight Harry Potter films.
- This character's portrait can be seen in the "The Quest of Sir Cadogan" feature on Disc 2 of the Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban DVD.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
Notes and references
- J. K. Rowling stated at the 2004 Edinburgh Book Festival that all portraits at Hogwarts are of deceased individuals. As Misslethorpe's portrait first appeared in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, it can be inferred that he died in or prior to 1993, the year in which the first portion of the novel is set.
- Harry Potter Limited Edition
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (see this image)
- The Making of Harry Potter photo on Flickr
- Tobias himself has escaped during the Battle of Hogwarts, but his portrait is there.
Ædificium Oriens · Apothecary department · Book of Monster's Repair Workshop · Care of Magical Creatures classroom · Cauldron cupboard · First Year written exams classroom · Gargoyle Corridor · Ghoul Studies classroom · The Grindylow Lagoon · Horace Slughorn's first office · Laundry · Lower Art Room · Rolanda Hooch's office · Stink Bomb Store · Study Hall