At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Ton-Tongue Toffee was a rainbow-coloured magical sweet invented by Fred and George Weasley for Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes that, with the power of the Engorgement Charm, made the tongue of the consumer swell to an indeterminate size (at least four feet long).
- "Dudley was no longer standing behind his parents. He was kneeling beside the coffee table, and he was gagging and sputtering on a foot-long, purple, slimy thing that was protruding from his mouth. One bewildered second later, Harry realised that the foot-long thing was Dudley’s tongue — and that a brightly coloured toffee wrapper lay on the floor before him."
- — Dudley Dursley under the effects of this toffee[src]
In August 1994, when the Weasley family visited 4 Privet Drive to pick up Harry Potter to go to the 1994 Quidditch World Cup, Fred Weasley "accidentally" dropped one of these toffees on the floor near Dudley Dursley which Dudley then picked up and ate. Fred was aware of Dudley's bullying, through Harry's letters to his brother, Ron Weasley. He decided to use the toffee to get back at Dudley, knowing that the temptation would be too great for the greedy boy to resist; especially because he also knew that Dudley was currently on a strict diet set by his school nurse.
The jinxed sweet caused Dudley's tongue to quickly swell, making it look like "a great slimy python" and almost suffocating him. Uncle Vernon was so outraged at this that he flung several pieces of china at Arthur Weasley, while Aunt Petunia attempted to pull the object from Dudley's mouth, not realiseing what it was.
Arthur ordered his sons, and Harry, to depart through the Floo Network and eventually calmed the Dursleys down enough to let him restore Dudley's tongue. Arthur was enraged by the prank, due to his views on Muggle-baiting, though he was somewhat mollified when the boys told him of Dudley's bullying nature, and that that had been the motivation.
Behind the scenes
- Honeydukes at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter sells huge slabs of Ton-Tongue Toffee, chocolate covered hard toffee with nuts.
- In a scene set at Christmas 1986, it is remarked in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery that there are Ton-Tongue Toffees for sale at Zonko's Joke Shop. This cannot be considered canon, as the novels specify that they were only developed by Fred and George Weasley almost a decade later.
- Chinese (Simplified): 肥舌太妃糖
- Croatian: Karamele jezikoduljice ("toffee tonguelengthener")
- Czech: Karamelky Jazyk jako jelito
- Danish: Tungeslaskerkaramel ("tongue-splashing toffee")
- Dutch: Ton-Tong Toffee (Tong "tongue")
- Estonian: Kolekeele iiris
- Finnish: Kilokielimelli ("Kilo Tongue Candy")
- French: Praline Longue Langue
- German: Würgzungen-Toffees ("retch-tongue toffees")
- Greek, Modern: Τόφι-τονόγλωσσα
- Hebrew: טופי-לשון-בלון ("balloon-tongue toffee")
- Hungarian: Nyelvnyújtó nyalánkság
- Italian: Mou Mollelingua
- Japanese: トンタントフィー (ton tan tofī)
- Norwegian: tongtungetyggis ("heavy-tongue-chewing gum")
- Polish: Gigantojęzyczne toffi ("giant-tongue toffee")
- Portuguese (Europe): Rebuçado Língua de Légua ("League-Tongue Sweet")
- Portuguese (Brazil): Caramelo Incha-Língua (inchar "to swell", "Tongue-Swelling Toffee")
- Russian: Ириски «Гиперъязычки»
- Serbian: Карамела тонског језика (Karamela tonskog jezika)
- Slovak: Jazykoplazé Karamelky
- Spanish: Caramelo longuilinguo
- Turkish: dolma dil şekerlemesi
- Ukrainian: Іриска–язикодризка (Iryska-yazykodryzka) ("Toffee-tonguetwitcher")
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- J. K. Rowling's official site
- Wizarding World
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Non-canonical mention)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 4 (Back to The Burrow)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 5 (Weasley's Wizard Wheezes)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 3 (The Invitation)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, "THE GIFT OF GRATITUDE" Achievement - Part 2, Side Quest "Snow Much Fun"