At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Ton-Tongue Toffee was a rainbow-coloured magical sweet invented by Fred and George Weasley for Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes that, with the power of the Engorgement Charm, made the tongue of the consumer swell to an indeterminate size (at least four feet long).
In 1994, Fred Weasley "accidentally" dropped one of these toffees on the floor at the Dursley's which Dudley then picked up and ate, making his tongue look like "a great slimy python" and almost suffocating him; Uncle Vernon was so outraged at this that he flung several pieces of china at Mr Weasley before letting him restore Dudley's tongue. Dudley was also on a strict diet set by his school nurse, so Fred decided to drop the toffee, knowing that the temptation would be too great to resist.
Behind the scenes
- Honeydukes at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter sells huge slabs of Ton-Tongue Toffee, chocolate covered hard toffee with nuts.
- In a scene set at Christmas 1986, it is remarked in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery that there are Ton-Tongue Toffees for sale at Zonko's Joke Shop. This cannot be considered canon, as the novels specify that they were only developed by Fred and George Weasley almost a decade later.
- Chinese (Simplified): 肥舌太妃糖
- Croatian: Karamele jezikoduljice ("toffee tonguelengthener")
- Czech: Karamelky Jazyk jako jelito
- Danish: Tungeslaskerkaramel ("tongue-splashing toffee")
- Dutch: Ton-Tong Toffee (Tong "tongue")
- Estonian: Kolekeele iiris
- Finnish: Kilokielimelli ("Kilo Tongue Candy")
- French: Praline Longue Langue
- German: Würgzungen-Toffees ("retch-tongue toffees")
- Greek, Modern: Τόφι-τονόγλωσσα
- Hebrew: טופי-לשון-בלון ("balloon-tongue toffee")
- Hungarian: Nyelvnyújtó nyalánkság
- Italian: Mou Mollelingua
- Japanese: トンタントフィー (ton tan tofī)
- Norwegian: tongtungetyggis ("heavy-tongue-chewing gum")
- Polish: Gigantojęzyczne toffi ("giant-tongue toffee")
- Portuguese (Europe): Rebuçado Língua de Légua ("League-Tongue Sweet")
- Portuguese (Brazil): Caramelo Incha-Língua (inchar "to swell", "Tongue-Swelling Toffee")
- Russian: Ириски «Гиперъязычки»
- Serbian: Карамела тонског језика (Karamela tonskog jezika)
- Slovak: Jazykoplazé Karamelky
- Spanish: Caramelo longuilinguo
- Turkish: dolma dil şekerlemesi
- Ukrainian: Іриска–язикодризка (Iryska-yazykodryzka) ("Toffee-tonguetwitcher")
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- J. K. Rowling's official site
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Non-canonical mention)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 4 (Back to The Burrow)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 5 (Weasley's Wizard Wheezes)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 3 (The Invitation)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, "THE GIFT OF GRATITUDE" Achievement - Part 2, Side Quest "Snow Much Fun"