- Sirius Black: "Any time the family produced someone halfway decent they were disowned. I see Tonks isn't on here. Maybe that's why Kreacher won't take orders from her — he's supposed to do whatever anyone in the family asks him."
- Harry Potter: "You and Tonks are related?"
- Sirius Black: "Oh, yeah, her mother Andromeda was my favourite cousin."
- — Discussion regarding the Tonks and Black families[src]
Tonks was the surname of a family that was originally Muggle. Ted Tonks, however, was a Muggle-born wizard and he married a pure-blood witch, Andromeda Black (for which Andromeda was disowned), with whom he had one child, Nymphadora Tonks.
The Tonks family were related to the Lupin, Black, Malfoy, and Lestrange families. They were distantly related to the Potter, Weasley, Peverell, Prewett, Crabbe, Riddle, Slytherin, Crouch, and Gaunt families. They were also possibly related to the Longbottom and Abbott families. The female line continued through Edward Remus Lupin. During the Second Wizarding War the family supported Albus Dumbledore and Harry Potter.
Not much is known about the early history of the Tonks family. Sometime in the late 1960s or early 1970s Muggle-born Ted Tonks married Andromeda Black after they graduated from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Because of this marriage, Andromeda was disowned by her family. In 1973 they had a daughter and their only child Nymphadora Tonks.
First Wizarding War
It can be assumed that during the First Wizarding War, the Tonks family supported the Order of the Phoenix. However, they were not actual members, only allies. They were happy when Lord Voldemort was defeated at the hands of Harry Potter in 1981.
Between the wars
- "Nearly failed on stealth and tracking. I'm dead clumsy! Did you hear me break that plate downstairs?"
- —Tonks talking to Harry Potter about her Auror training[src]
In 1984, Nymphadora began her education at Hogwarts where she was Sorted into Hufflepuff House during the Sorting ceremony. During her time at school she was not all-together the best behaved. Despite her behaviour, Tonks achieved good marks on her exams and qualified for Auror training when she left school in 1991. This means that she presumably took Defence Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Charms, Potions, and another subject in her sixth and seventh year. She earned 'Outstanding' or 'Exceeds Expectations' on all of her N.E.W.T.s. Being the daughter of the ostracised Andromeda Tonks, she was rejected by the supremacists of the House of Black.
Undergoing three years of Auror training under the tutelage of Alastor Moody, Tonks's natural metamorphic abilities allowed her to easily pass the Concealment and Disguise portion of the training without doing any work for it at all. However, her clumsiness gave her trouble with the Stealth and Tracking portion of the course, which she almost failed. Tonks qualified fully as an Auror in 1994. It was most likely that her parents were proud when she was appointed as a full-fledged Auror.
Second Wizarding War
- "Harry had a clear view of the bodies lying next to Fred: Remus and Tonks, pale and still and peaceful-looking, apparently asleep beneath the dark, enchanted ceiling."
- —Harry describes Tonks and Remus's lifeless bodies[src]
The Tonks family supported the Order of the Phoenix during the Second Wizarding War, though only Nymphadora Tonks was an actual member. Shortly after marrying Remus Lupin, she became pregnant and stayed at her parents' home with her mother, while her father was forced to go on the run to avoid the Muggle-Born Registration Commission. Ted was murdered by Snatchers in March 1998 while on the run with other undesirables. On 2 May, 1998 Nymphadora and her husband were murdered separately by Death Eaters Bellatrix Lestrange and Antonin Dolohov, whilst fighting in the Battle of Hogwarts. Their deaths left their infant son in his maternal grandmother's care.
|Ted Tonks||A Muggle-born wizard murdered by Snatchers in March 1998|
|Andromeda Tonks (née Black)||A pure-blood witch, sister of Bellatrix Lestrange and Narcissa Malfoy, and wife of Ted.|
|Nymphadora Lupin (née Tonks)||Daughter of Ted and Andromeda, wife of Remus Lupin, and mother of Ted Remus Lupin. She was murdered by Bellatrix Lestrange during the Battle of Hogwarts.|
|Lyall Lupin||Father of Remus; a Ministry of Magic employee who banished the Screaming Bogey of Strathtully; once offended the werewolf Fenrir Greyback|
|Hope Lupin (née Howell)||Mother of Remus|
|Remus Lupin||A werewolf and member of the Order of the Phoenix|
|Teddy Lupin||Orphaned son of Remus and Nymphadora; a Metamorphmagus like his mother|
|Cygnus Black III||Father of Bellatrix, Andromeda, Narcissa Black. Grandfather of Nymphadora Tonks and Draco Malfoy|
|Druella Black (née Rosier)||Mother of Bellatrix, Andromeda, Narcissa Black. Grandmother of Nymphadora Tonks and Draco Malfoy|
|Andromeda's eldest sister and murderer of her daughter.|
|Narcissa Malfoy (née Black)||Andromeda's younger sister|
|Draco Malfoy||Andromeda's only nephew. The son of Narcissa and Lucius Malfoy.|
|Delphini||Andromeda's only niece. The daughter of Bellatrix and Lord Voldemort.|
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Portable version only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
- Dorea Potter's median name was Black. She was also depicted upon the Black family tapestry, therefore the Potter's are relatives of the Tonks family through the House of Black.
- Black family tree
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Remus Lupin" at Wizarding World