In the 1988–1989 school year, Chiara Lobosca asked Filius Flitwick to teach her the spell. She later taught it to Jacob's sibling, who revealed a Niffler's trace using it. Later, Jacob's sibling used it to reveal the tracks of a supposed Moon Frog (actually Sir Ribbithe).
The spell has two components, appare, a Latin word in the imperative form (present active, second-person, singular) meaning "you appear (now)", a conjugation of the verb appareo ("I appear, or come into sight"), and vestigium, Latin for "footprint or track", or in a broader sense, any form of "trace, vestige or mark". Together, the incantation Appare Vestigium can be interpreted as a command, "footprints, traces, you appear now".
Behind the scenes
- This spell, or a variation of it, might be used in the creation and/or maintenance of the MACUSA Real-Time Hex Indicator map.
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells