Trevor was Neville Longbottom’s pet toad, whom he frequently lost during his first year at Hogwarts. Trevor was a gift from Neville’s Great Uncle Algie in recognition of the first time Neville showed magical ability and thus gaining admission to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Eventually, Trevor wandered off and joined the other amphibians in and around the Black Lake.
Neville lost Trevor many times. For example, the first time he came to Hogwarts on the Hogwarts Express, Neville lost Trevor but was soon helped by Hermione Granger who met Harry Potter and Ron Weasley during her search.
Neville eventually found Trevor once reaching Hogwarts in one of the boats after Hagrid asked Neville about Trevor.
During the night Harry, Ron and Hermione went to penetrate the Underground Chambers, the trio left the common room but was confronted by Neville and a croaking Trevor until Hermione froze Neville using the Full Body-Bind Curse.
Later on the school year, Professor Snape made Neville test his Shrinking Solution on the toad with the warning that if made incorrectly, it would likely be poisonous. After Trevor drank the potion, he successfully transformed into a tadpole, much to Neville's delight. However, Professor Snape was displeased and spitefully deducted five points from Gryffindor because Hermione had helped Neville create the potion.
When Harry encountered Neville in the last carriage of the Hogwarts Express in their fifth year, Neville had a one-handed grip on a struggling Trevor. Later, Neville dumped the toad into Harry's lap so that he could demonstrate the defensive mechanism of his Mimbulus Mimbletonia. This was to Harry's regret when Cho Chang then visited the compartment, as "he would not have chosen to be sitting with Neville and Luna Lovegood, clutching a toad and dripping in Stinksap."
Behind the scenes
- The species of toad used for Trevor in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) is a smooth sided toad.
- Trevor also appears briefly in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) in front of Neville after Professor McGonnagall demonstrates a transfiguration spell on her pet hornbill.
- Matthew Lewis, the actor of Neville Longbottom, said that he's had plenty of experience with frogs and toads while growing up.
- A fan-proposed theory stated Trevor was the Animagus form of Neville's Uncle Algie, but this was said to be false by J. K. Rowling.
- In the Spanish translations of the books, Trevor has been translated to be a turtle instead of a toad.
- In the scene when the trio leaves the common room to save the Philosopher's Stone, Trevor is mistakenly referred to as a female in the German version. All other times he is mentioned, including all other books, he is male.
- In the Polish version, Trevor was referred to as a female too.
- In the initial PC release of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, when Harry has a broomstick battle with Malfoy to retrieve Neville's Remembrall, Neville, upon Harry's retrieval of the Remembrall, learns that Trevor is in the Herbology greenhouse and runs to find him, due to the greenhouses containing carnivorous plants.
- In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Neville finds Trevor in one of the boats (with a little help from Hagrid). In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film), Neville finds Trevor on the top stair leading to one of the hallways to the Great Hall while Minerva McGonagall is discussing the Sorting Ceremony with the first years.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (briefly)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (briefly)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (GBA version)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Disc 2)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- LEGO Creator: Harry Potter
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault
- LEGO Dimensions
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 7 (The Sorting Hat)
- Pottermore information on toads, transcript available here
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 6 (The Journey from Platform Nine and Three-Quarters)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 10 (Hallowe'en)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 16 (Through the Trapdoor)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Chapter 7 (The Boggart in the Wardrobe)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 20 (The First Task)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 10 (Luna Lovegood)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 7 (The Slug Club)
- Harry Potter: A Blue Peter Special, transcript available here