There was a lively Muggle trade in unicorn horn, which they believed to have medicinal properties. However, most of these supposed horns were fake, and the few real ones that did pass into Muggle possession were useless to non-wizards.
Behind the scenes
- It is likely that under normal circumstances horns are only taken from unicorns that have already died, since Firenze remarks that "it is a monstrous thing, to slay a unicorn". It may also be possible that the horn can be taken without killing the unicorn, perhaps if they shed and regrow them much like deer do antlers, or that only a small part of the horn is taken from a living unicorn.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault