Unplottability refers to the deliberate concealment of several places around the world.
Unplottable locations are either magically hidden from plain sight or simply removed from maps. One of the main reasons for unplottability is for individual safety and the protection of certain secrets, particularly schools of magic.
A Masking Spell can be used to achieve untraceability.
Known unplottable locations
- Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, the Durmstrang Institute, and Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry have all been rendered unplottable with powerful magic to protect their students and secrets from Muggles and Dark wizards. How this would help Hogwarts defend themselves from other schools is unclear - as it is known to be near Hogsmeade, which is in fact Plottable.
- 12 Grimmauld Place was made Unplottable to hide the House of Black and, later, the Order of the Phoenix.
- The Chamber of Secrets and the Room of Requirement are regarded as Unplottable due to their absence on the Marauder's Map.
- The Isle of Drear is Unplottable because of its native and highly dangerous Quintapeds.
- Azkaban is located on an Unplottable island in the middle of the North Sea to isolate it from the rest of the world.
- Several forests in Burkina Faso, Africa have been made unplottable by the Burkina Faso Ministry of Magic to preserve inhabiting Runespoors.
- Queerditch Marsh is Unplottable to preserve its historic significance.
Behind the scenes
- J. K. Rowling stated that wizards could make themselves untraceable in a manner similar to making buildings Unplottable, so that they could not be found by someone simply sending them an owl.
- On the old version of Pottermore, two Unplottable locations were depicted on the map in the background of the home page, which would show when the user had signed in: Hogwarts Castle and the Isle of Drear. The reason behind this is unclear, though it may simply be artistic licence, as the map featured other inaccuracies, such as London and Hogsmeade being very close.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard