|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The topic of this article is of a real-life subject that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really exists), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
- Lavender Brown: "Oh Professor, look! I think I've got an unaspected planet! Oooh, which one's that, Professor?"
- Professor Trelawney: "It is Uranus, my dear."
- Ron Weasley: "Can I have a look at Uranus too, Lavender?"
- — Fourth year Divination class in the 1994-1995 school year.[src]
Uranus is one of the planets in the Solar System. In Divination class at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in 1994, Lavender Brown thought she had an unaspected planet on her astrological chart. Professor Trelawney identified the planet as Uranus, and Ron Weasley asked if he could have a look at it, causing Professor Trelawney to get angry and set them a lot of homework. After taking their Ordinary Wizarding Level in Diviniation, Ron remarked that they could at least give up the subject now to which Harry Potter replied "No more pretending we care what happens when Jupiter and Uranus get too friendly ..."
Uranus was most likely studied in Astronomy class also.
Behind the scenes
- Uranus is named after the Roman personification of the sky, which was known as Ouranos in Greek times. Uranus and Saturn are the only of the eight planets not named after an Olympian god.
- Ron's question to Lavender regarding Uranus in the Goblet of Fire is clearly a pun with the phrase "your anus".
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
|Professors: Aurora Sinistra|
|Astronomy at Hogwarts: Astronomy department · Astronomy Tower · Astronomy Room · Astronomy Stairs · Astronomy Corridor · Astronomy reading room · |
|Astronomers: Aurora Sinistra · Copernicus · George von Rheticus · Perpetua Fancourt · Hesper Starkey|
|Objects: Globe of the Moon · Lunascope · Moon chart · Orrery · Star chart · Telescope|
|Planets: Jupiter · Mars · Mercury · Neptune · Pluto · Saturn · Uranus · Venus|
|Satellites: Callisto · Europa · Ganymede · Io · Moon|
|Constellations: Bartholomeus · Orion|