- "Forbidden just means really, really interesting."
- —Leon Grimalkin exploring Hogwarts in 2005
Leon Grimalkin (b. 1992) was a muggle-born wizard who attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from 2003 until 2010, where he was sorted into Slytherin house. A meek and shy boy, Leon would later question the Sorting Hat's decision and discover that the hat was under the impression that the comradery and support of the tight-knit Slytherin house would allow him to flourish. However, being an easy target and a Slytherin in an era not too long after the Second Wizarding War resulted in Leon suffering from bullying at the hands of students in other houses. The Sorting Hat was right, however, and Leon's fellow Slytherins always jumped to his aid. He was threatened with expulsion for retaliating after several years of being pacifistic, but was let off with detention.
While Leon was not a huge fan of Quidditch, he supported the regional teams of two of his closest friends, and the Japanese team the Toyohashi Tengu for their sheer willpower and impressive skills. He attended Slytherin's Quidditch matches at Hogwarts after being coerced by his peers, but didn't bother to watch the other teams.
Leon was born to two muggle parents in 1992, and lived with them alongside his maternal grandmother. He first showed signs of magical talent as a toddler when he somehow summoned a large stuffed animal into his pram without anybody noticing.
Some wizarding friends of the family who had kept their secret from the Grimalkins seemed to notice signs of magic in Leon, and became like family to him, two of them becoming his godparents. Muggle children had a natural urge to ostracize Leon, sensing something different about him, and Leon in turn had trouble socialising with muggles.
Hogwarts years (2003-2010)
In 2003, Leon received his Hogwarts letter and upon arriving at Hogwarts was sorted into Slytherin house.
In the third year, Leon chose the electives Care of Magical Creatures and Muggle Studies. He chose Care of Magical Creatures out of fascination with the creatures that muggles could not or refused to perceive, and chose Muggle Studies as a "soft option" due to a lack of interest in ancient runes or divination.
Leon visited Hogsmeade for the first time and discovered an enjoyment of Butterbeer. Starting from his third year, he would make sure to bring enough money for sweets from Honeydukes whenever he set off for Hogwarts.
Leon's grades dropped in the fourth year, through a combination of the overwhelming workload and the stress of being the target of bullying.
During a meeting regarding his grades, Professor Slughorn convinced Headmistress McGonagall to allow Leon to consult the Sorting Hat in regards to his placement in Slytherin. The Sorting Hat believed Leon would flourish in the environment of comradery provided by Slytherin, and that it would help him to achieve his ambitions. It felt that Hufflepuff would not push him hard enough, while the other houses would leave him overshadowed or would push him too hard. The enchanted hat also insisted that while Leon's ambitions were not immediately apparent, he certainly was an ambitious individual in his own way. Following this, Leon started to come out of his shell and began being more open and sociable. However, he also started to test limits and boundaries, being somewhat more cheeky and sarcastic towards those around him.
With the support of his fellow Slytherin students, Leon started to take some more pride in being a Hogwarts student. However, this was beaten back slightly by the caretaker having Leon sent to detention for using magic outside of classes after Leon was caught repairing broken stonework and helping a talking gargoyle clear spiders out of its nose. Thankfully, Professor Slughorn merely took the opportunity to give Leon some extra tutoring in Potions, a class Leon was falling behind in, instead of properly punishing him as he saw that Leon was merely showing a sense of school pride and trying to be helpful.
At some point in his fifth year, Leon requested to drop Muggle Studies in order to focus more on other classes as he felt the ever-increasing workload was affecting his grades in classes he thought were more relevant. He was encouraged to attempt the exam regardless so that he would have the possibility of a fall-back career in the Muggle Liaison Office. Leon would often finish homework for other classes during Muggle Studies. He successfully earned passing grades on all of his remaining OWL exams, though chose only to pursue Care of Magical Creatures, Charms, and Transfiguration to NEWT-level.
At some point in his fifth year, Leon was given the chance to take extra curricular Transfiguration tuition from Professor McGonagall. On the rare occasions she had the time, she would summon Leon via owl. This sparked rumours that Leon was learning to become an Animagus.
Leon occasionally employed sneaky but harmless jinxes against his bullies from a distance and took pride in never being caught.
Nearly five years of bullying took its toll on Leon, and in his fifth year he endured a particularly traumatising incident that caused him to miss some time at school while he was treated by Madam Pomfrey for exhaustion, shock, trauma, and severe bruising. Some of those involved escaped expulsion (while Leon himself was threatened with it), instilling a bitterness and cynicism in Leon and negatively affecting his work ethic. Genuine remorse and a harsh detention kept him in education for the rest of his school career but cost him his extra-curricular Transfiguration tuition.
Leon only selected three NEWT-level classes; Care of Magical Creatures, Charms, and Transfiguration. Having not qualified for NEWT-level Defence Against The Dark Arts classes despite a passing grade, he missed an opportunity to meet the famous Auror Harry Potter.
Around this time, Leon was awarded Transfiguration Today's Most Promising Newcomer (runner-up) Award.
Leon passed his Charms and Transfiguration NEWT classes with decent marks, but just barely failed his Care of Magical Creatures exam.
Leon met a first-year Ravenclaw in the Muggle Studies showroom, and the two bonded over a mutual adoration of the pop-culture sensation 'Pokémon', prompted by a Nintendo Gameboy that was on display amongst the various Muggle artefacts. The two became fast friends and kept in touch long after Leon had graduated from Hogwarts.
During the second term, Leon took Apparition classes under the encouragement of his peers and family. This proved quite difficult for Leon, who kept splinching quite badly even by the end of the twelve-week course due to a lack of confidence.
Life After Hogwarts
Having become somewhat interested in Muggle television, Leon studied amongst muggles at a university. Despite earning reasonable grades, he found it difficult to find work in television due to his troubles socialising with muggles. Repeated failed attempts at socialising, along with the bullying he had suffered at Hogwarts, had given Leon an anxiety disorder that was hard to overcome.
Leon returned to the wizarding world for a brief while to seek work, and spent a short time using his Charms and Transfiguration skills to create wizarding toys for a small company. He enjoyed it at first, but eventually became disenchanted as he was pushed for quantity over quality, resulting in sloppy products that Leon did not want to be associated with.
Leon was offered positions in the Muggle Liaison Office at the Ministry of Magic, but left before completing his job training, finding the manual paperwork "mind-numbingly tedious." During his resignation, he expressed surprise as to how someone had managed to find a way to make "having control the raw power of nature itself and the ability to bend the world to your whims so incredibly boring."
During this time, Leon found himself reevaluating his views on the International Statute of Secrecy and his feelings towards Muggles. He also broke the Statute of Secrecy dress code several times, landing him in minor trouble with the Ministry.
After the Calamity caused a small nest of Erklings to appear in his garden in a Muggle town, Leon put aside his doubts about the International Statute of Secrecy and, in 2018, Leon applied to become a voluntary member of the Statute of Secrecy Task Force in hopes of solving the calamity that threatened to expose the Wizarding World to Muggle kind. He was officially accepted as a Statute of Secrecy Task Force volunteer on the 20th of June the following year. Leon patrolled his home of Cokeworth sending Foundables back to their proper time and place, away from Muggle eyes. This put him back in contact with the Wizarding World and, to his delight, lead to correspondences with famous faces like those of Hermione Granger and Harry Potter. Leon was especially excited to make occasional visits to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft And Wizardry and reacquaint with Headmistress Minerva McGonagall on official Statute of Secrecy Taskforce business and training.
Leon was an even mixture of his father's and mother's physical traits. He was a little on the short side, had bright blue eyes, brown hair, and "not a lot of neck." In his first year, he was stocky and round with somewhat short hair but by his fourth year he had grown into his weight and adopted a longer hair style. There was a hidden streak of blond just above his left eye. By his fifth year, his hair reached his shoulders and was often tied back in a ponytail, with two curtains of hair framing his face. He had eyebrows that he described as having a "Vulcan" shape to them, and his eyes were often surrounded in shiny dark patches caused by tiredness that other students sometimes mistook for eye shadow.
He never tucked in his shirt and his tie was always loose and improperly tied. Leon had a scar on his right hand from a Jarvey bite he received during a Care of Magical Creatures lesson, though it is unknown in which year of study this happened. Leon once reminisced about how his fellow Slytherins came together and applied the Water-Making Charm to clean the wound, Dittany to heal it, and Wiggenweld Potion to help him through the rest of the lesson. Presumably, this amateur medical treatment is why a scar was left, which would have healed completely under Madam Pomfrey's expert care. Leon considered the event to be a "bonding moment."
In his adult years, Leon began wearing a black waist coat, black jeans, and a flat cap. He put on a little weight, grew facial hair, and continued to wear his hair long but not quite as long as it was during his Hogwarts years.
Personality and traits
Leon was a shy, socially awkward boy who avoided direct confrontation and even social situations. However, he had an emotionally volatile side and often spoke his mind. As much as he made it clear that he respected certain people, he made it equally clear that he didn't respect certain others. In his third year, Leon began to develop a darker sense of humour.
While he almost never retaliated in bullying incidents, he had a habit of using disproportionate response when he did, which would land the usually attentive and good-natured student in trouble.
Even at Hogwarts, he was considered somewhat weird or quirky. He would rapidly switch between moods, sometimes even going quite suddenly between depression and outright mania, and his interests were quite different from those one might expect from a Slytherin student.
Leon had a particular interest in Transfiguration, and was very curious about the world around him. He spent a lot of his free time at Hogwarts searching the castle and befriending portraits and talking gargoyles, giving him access to a range of hidden corridors and shortcuts (provided he remembered the passwords).
Magical abilities and skills
- Charms: Leon was skilled enough in Charms to progress to NEWT level.
- Transfiguration: Leon took great interest in Transfiguration and even got a runner-up award from Transfiguration Today's 'Most Promising Newcomer' contest.
- Animagus (possibly): It was rumoured that Leon was taking secret Animagus lessons under Professor McGongall's tutelage, but this was never confirmed and it is unknown whether or not he was successful. The etymology of his name added further weight to these rumours, and may have been the detail that started them.
- Defence Against The Dark Arts: Despite not qualifying to study the subject at NEWT level, Leon had shown a keen interest and often surprised others with his knowledge on more obscure facets of the subject. His achievements include banishing a boggart, defeating a hinkypunk, and correctly identifying water demons and ways to repel them.
- Apparition: Leon eventually learned to Apparate despite a shaky start.
- Care of Magical Creatures: A love of the Muggle phenomenon known as "Pokémon" lead to an enthusiastic interest in magical creatures. Leon earned an Exceeds Expectations in the subject's OWL exam.
- Wand: 9¾", Larch wood with a Unicorn hair core.
- Small Collection of Hats: Due to the International Statute of Secrecy, Leon was forbidden from wearing his pointed hat in public. He bought a few quirky but acceptable Muggle hats, feeling the balanced muggle sensibility with the stand-apart nature of the pointed hat.
- Glasses: Not fancying the idea of a shaky-handed old wizard pointing a wand at his face, Leon ended up wearing glasses some time after graduating Hogwarts instead of having his vision corrected magically.
- Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them: Leon owned the 2001 publication of the book featuring notes and doodles by Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger.
- Various Toys: Leon was a collector of toys, action figures, and trading cards.
- Slytherin scarf: Retained as a sign of house pride and worn on Hogsmeade trips.
- Book of Spells: A dogeared copy of the original Book of Spells by Miranda Goshawk.
- Slytherin cushion: Accidentally packed
- Fanged Frisbee: Kept as a souvenir of Leon's first visit to Zonko's Joke Shop and never opened.
- Quidditch Through The Ages: While not a huge fan of the sport, Leon bought this book to help him understand it so that he might better connect with those around him. He owned the 2001 publication.
- Vast collection of Pokémon cards
- Deathly Hallows necklace: After reading The Tales of Beadle The Bard, Leon sought this out as a show of fanaticism.
- Model of the Hogwarts Express
- The Tales of Beadle The Bard: Leon owned the version translated directly from the original runes by Hermione Granger.
- Transfiguration Today: As a keen observer of Transfiguration, Leon owned several copies of the wizarding magazine 'Transfiguration Today'.
- Nintendo Gameboy Advance: Being a muggle-born, Leon partook in muggle habits such as playing handheld video games. He was a huge fan of the Pokémon franchise, which was partly responsible for his interest in magical creatures. He was distraught when his copy of Pokémon Emerald was reset by the magical interference of Hogwarts Castle.
- Various books about the magical creatures of Japan
- Large collection of newspaper clippings: Leon liked to snip headlines from newspapers that coincided with key moments in his own life, or that he merely found amusing. He displayed these on a board in his dormitory while at Hogwarts, and brought them home to display in his bedroom following his graduation.
- Regious: Leon owned a Royal Python he called Regious, meaning "Royal," that he purchased from a muggle pet shop in 2004. He hoped to learn Parseltongue so he could speak with her, but was dismayed to discover it was a genetic anomaly with which few wizards are born. Leon's parents looked after Regious while he was at school.
Mr. and Mrs. Grimalkin were two muggles who lived somewhere near Cokeworth in the 1990's along with Mrs. Grimalkin's mother and their son Leon Grimalkin.
Unknown Slytherin Prefect
In Leon's second year, a Slytherin Prefect began helping Leon stand on his own two feet, and also called on fellow Slytherins to help Leon protect the pride of Slytherin. The two became somewhat close.
Unknown Ravenclaw First-Year
In his final year at Hogwarts, Leon found a close friend in a Ravenclaw first-year who shared some of his interests and his social awkwardness. The two remained in contact after they had each graduated from Hogwarts.
Leon at some point befriended a Ravenclaw student in the year above him. The two bonded over their quirky and sometimes dark senses of humour.
Unknown Slytherin Student
Leon and the Unnamed Ravenclaw had at least one mutual friend in Slytherin.
A student who was possibly one or two years below Leon took immediate dislike to him without even properly meeting him, and would ultimately go on to force Leon into a duel that left him with a black eye and psychological trauma. This student was backed by other students both in Leon's year and above, some of whom were Gryffindors who felt they were getting revenge for those who lost their lives in the Second Wizarding War by attacking a Slytherin student. Leon continued to hold a grudge against this student, and the house of Gryffindor, for the rest of his school years.
Leon is a name that is Greek in origin, meaning "lion," making it a somewhat ironic name for a Slytherin. Grimalkin is a 16th Century English word for cat derived from the word "grey" and the name "Matilda," meaning "grey-haired cat."