Gryfindor vs Slytherin Quidditch match
Infobox (not yet created)
Gryffindor vs Slytherin quiddirch match teams= Gryffibdor Quidditch team, Slytherin Quidditch team stadium=Hogwarts Quidditch stadium datea= early Novemmber 1991 referee= Rolanda Hooch commentator= Lee Jordan winner= Gryffindor quidditch team final score= 170: 60 tactics used=
This Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Slytherin was played in early November 1991.
Before the match
Harry Potter was appointed Seeker when Minerva McGonagall saw him catching a remembrall during flying lesson.
She then sent him a Nimbus 2000 broomstick for the matches, but asked him not to tell other students about it.
Several weeks before the match, the Gryffindor team started their treaining, The rules were explained to Harry by Oliver Wood on a friday evening.
By November, despite efforts to keep the fact secret, many students knew that Harry would be Gryffindor´s seeker. Some people thought that Harry would be a great player, others expected that he would fall of his broomstick.
Harry also read Hermione Granger's copy of Quidditch through the Ages, a book which he found very interesting.
On the morning of the day they should play, Harry wasn´t able to eat anything for breakfast.
At eleven o´clock most students and teachers had gathered at the quidditch stadium.
Right before the start of the match, Oliver Wood gave a speech to his tammates.
during the match
Rolanda Hooch was the referee of the Quidditch match, Lee Jordan was the commentator. First, Madam Hooch informed all players that she wanted a nice, fair game, particularly speaking to Slytherin Captain Marcus Flint.
Then, she asked the players to munt their brooms. After the players had taken off, she released the Quaffle, which was immediately taken by Gryffindor Chaser Angelina Johnson. She passed it to fellow Chaser Alicia Spinnet. Alicia passed the Quaffle back to Angelina. Then, the Quaffle was taken by Marcus Flint, Chaser and Captain of the Slytherin team.He tried to score, but Oliver Wood kept the Quaffle. Katie Bell of Gryffindor took it, but was hit by a Bludger and lost it to Slytherin player Adrian Pucey. He flew towards the goals, but was blocked by the second Bludger, beaten by either Fred or George Weasley. Then, Angelina Johnson got possession of the Quaffle. Dodging a Bludger, she scored the first en points for Gryffindor.
By this time, Harry Potter had not yet seen the Snitch. Fred Weasley bet a Bludger to Marcus Fint.
Shortly after, Chaser Pucey was in possession of the Quaffle, dodging two Bludgers, when suddenly both Seekers noticed the Snitch. They flew downwards, watched by the Chasers. Harry Potter was faster then Terence Higgs and nearly caught the Snitch, but was then fouled by Marcus Flint. Madam Hooch gave Gryffindor a free shot and Alicia Spinnet scored.
When Harry Potter dodged a Bludger that nearly hit his head, he noticed that he was suddenly losing control over his brromstick. Thinking that he was falling, Harry grabbed it with his hands and knees. It was trying to buck him offm zig-zagging through the air.
While Harry had problems with his brromstick, Flint was in possessioon of the Quaffle. A Bludger hit him in the face, but he was still able to score.
Eventually, the spectators began to notice the behaviour of Harry's broom. Harry was thrown off it when it gave a jerk, dangling from it with his hand.
Amog the stands, Hermione Granger, using Rubeus Hagrid's binoculars, noticed that Severus Snape had set his eyes on Harry and was muttering an incantation.
Meanwhile, it became hard for Harry to hang on the broom. Fred and George tried to pull him on one of their Cleansweap Fives, but couldn´t do it. Marcus Flint scored five goals without anyone caring. On the ground, Hermione had reached Professor Snape, knocking over Propessor Quirrell on her way. She conjured blue flames to set Snape´s cloak on fire.
Harry was then able to clamber back on his broom.
Harry flew towards the ground, trying to catch the Snitch, but instead, he almost swallowd it.
Gryffindor had won the match 170:60.
It didn´t turn out until June of the following year that Quirinus Quirrell was the one who had tried to jinx Harry's broom, and that Snape had been muttering counter-curses.
Nearly six years later, the Snitch Harry caught was left to him in Dumbledore's will. Harry discovered that the Resurrection Stone was hidden inside when he touched it with his lips.
Behind the scenes
- Had Hermione not knocked Quirrell, his eye contact wouldn´t have been interrupted, and he probably would have succeded in knocking Harry off his broom,
- Albus Dumbledore is shown attending the match in the film, but Hermione and Ron stated he didn´t in the novel.
- This is also the first official Quidditch match Harry Potter played.
- It may also have been the first Quidditch match of Gryffindor Chaser Katie Bell, who was in her second year and probably wasn´t on the team the year before.
- This was the first game in which Alicia Spinnet, a third year, was one of the main chasers. She was a reserve player the year before.
- It is the only Quidditch match shown in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
- In some video game adaptations, the broom is not jinxed during the match.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4