Before editing, be sure to read the wiki's policies. Please sign your name on Talk and vote pages using four tildes (~~~~) to automatically produce your name and the current date. Be sure to verify your e-mail address in your preferences. Before attempting any major article rewrites please read the layout guide. If you have any questions, check out the policy and help pages (see here for editing help), add a question to the Community portal, view the forum or ask me on my talk page. Again, welcome!
Hello Avinash, Is there a way we can chat in private? As in discord or amino app? There are some matters that might concern you..
Hey Reverb, I tried to contact you on kik later after I saw your message there but couldn't get you. Anyways, I don't know what changes have taken place here but I do wish everything concerns the Wikia in good faith. I have been busy lately and so am unable to join the discussions. Though I occasionally visit wikias for information regarding books.
Newt Strike (talk) 10:25, August 6, 2018 (UTC)
Hello Newt, you may remember me, my name is Dave, and I am currently trying to become an admin here at the Harry potter wiki! I saw you voted for CosmicChronos before he requested for his vote to be closed. Do you support me becoming an admin? I currently have 2 votes (The Dark Marc said I had his, and Magnificent Magnus voted, but it got "accidentally" deleted :( ). If you support me, please vote now! Here:
It's alright you didn't vote for me. That was from a while ago, so it's fine. Good to see you are back!
RE Discussions Mod
Hello. As you've been away, it's probably best to review the current Guidelines to get up to speed. https://harrypotter.fandom.com/d/g
Anyone wishing to be a Discussions Mod needs to be nominated by the current Mods or Admins and then be voted in by the community. I am not currently looking to nominate any more Mods but will keep an eye out to see if you or anyone else is a good candidate in the future.
Also, I am handling most of the Discussions moderation currently and already responded to the series of posts I think you are referring to. What makes you believe they should be locked or deleted (again based on the current Guidelines). Cheers --04:13, March 26, 2019 (UTC)
- But there is no requirement in the Guidelines that a post contribute to a Discussion (according to you) or to not use images that can be found on Google. If it's not stated as a rule in the Guidelines, that the community has helped vote on, there is no basis to moderate (edit/lock/delete) the post. If you spend some time on Discussions you should notice that things have changed quite a bit with the community leading the way on what they want Discussions to be, instead of a few moderators dictating the rules. Cheers --Ironyak1 (talk) 04:35, March 26, 2019 (UTC)
Previously on Harry Potter wiki... *intense music*
Did you see what I did there? Did ya? huh anywho..
So a lot has changed in the past few weeks. Like literally everything. I am not even sure where to start.
So there are two types of questions that come to mind when we are talking about these changes, "What has changed?" and "How did this happen?"
I will answer the second question since I have already answered the first one to you on the OT post.
So it all began over here, an admin vote by a retired Dmod . And another admin vote (FYI this vote was not much of a game changer for Dboard but given the things you know *cough* T *cough* D *cough* M *cough* (man I need a cough syrup), I thought you might wanna read it.) . All this lead to this post.
But nothing significant enough happend. Things were talked about, ideas were thrown at, and lots but it all faded. All this was not in vain TBH. Few weeks later this happened, and this also. These two in my personal opinion were the game changer. Something that *cough* C *cough* C *cough* accepted in his resignation post . Matlab jab koi sensible insaan ho na, toh samjh bhi jaye, par jab koi khud hi khud ki kabar khod raha ho toh yaar rok roke bhi kitna roko gay. And all these "Discussion problems" lead to the real problem and some effective changes.
This was the first ever vote that took place on HPW Dboard. Here were the voting policies . Here is thevoting policy talk page . (Some useful info and a bit of drama there too.) But well this vote was a bit of a trial.
Here comes the second vote . An effective one. After this owing to certain wrongful bans, Ironyak1 requested FANDOM staff to remove the ban rights permission(with which they were able to ban users) provided to the Dmods. Now any ban request is to be made on this page .
After this the next change was not a big one but here it is . Another category. This was mostly for organisational purpose.
Here comes another vote. You rememeber how previously we would get to make applications to show that were interested in becoming mods and the mods would pick users of their choice? Well this process is no longer in done. This vote decided how the community wanted to choose the wiki Dmods.
Another important thing is that Saphy resigned. A good Dmod IMO.
And you know the rest. I might have missed a couple of things or more but know this that whatever is in the guidelines is important and like really really important. So read them and contribute accordingly. Hopefully now you will stick arround for a longer time given the 2 villians are gone. (Hey I was talking about Voldemort and his loyal servant Belatrix. )
RE Live Chat
Hey - I don't have much free time for chatting currently, but will keep an eye out for any future opportunities. Feel free to leave a message on my talk page if that works better. Cheers --Ironyak1 (talk) 18:59, June 8, 2019 (UTC)
Thank you for taking the time to say this. I appreciate the sentiment expressed although the way in which you say things tends to constantly displace blame from yourself to those interpreting your statements. I don't "think" you talk behind peoples' backs, I know you do, having seen it directly. This behavior combined with the questionable English and a willingness to aggressively and incessantly argue your opinions are all red flags when it comes to considering someone for having additional permissions dealing with users. Combined with the fact that there is no need for additional Mods currently, there is little motivation to consider such a problematic nomination. However, the demands of the Discussions Board may change in the future which may open up an possible opportunity at that time. Thanks --Ironyak1 (talk) 21:29, June 10, 2019 (UTC)
RE Using GDM Tools
Congrats on becoming a GDM! However, I do not think GDMs should be using their abilities in communities that haven't voted in support of those users (any more than I should be allowed to admin other sites and lock/delete their Discussions posts or ban their users). No doubt there are plenty of other Discussions sites that lack oversight and guidance and could use a GDM's assistance. Thanks --Ironyak1 (talk) 19:00, June 27, 2019 (UTC)
- On this topic, can you explain what Moderator actions you've already taken, as shown in the Discussions Insights summary? --Ironyak1 (talk) 19:30, June 27, 2019 (UTC)
- As noted by another Discussion Mod, you apparently keep using your rights even after being repeatedly asked not to. Please take a few days off from all Discussions and editing activity here to better understand this request. Future incidents will result in longer and more severe consequences. Thanks --Ironyak1 (talk) 04:53, July 18, 2019 (UTC)
- I guess that's kind of fair but let me just tell you I edited a user's age which was against fandom ToU. So, basically I did things in good faith but if mods/admins don't want to interfere in emergency situations as well, I will be careful not to do so in future. No further comments. Thank you. Newt Strike (talk) 07:23, July 18, 2019 (UTC)
- But of course you know how to report issues to Mods/Admins, having done in many times in the past, and you know the GDM Guidelines not to take action in Communities with active Mods/Admins, and you know you were directly requested not to use your GDM permissions here. The situation should be abundantly clear so if you continue to ignore everyone and do whatever you want, future consequences will be much more severe. Thanks --Ironyak1 (talk) 18:40, July 18, 2019 (UTC)
- I just couldn't resist myself to take mod actions when I saw fandom ToU being violated. And don't worry, I won't be using my rights on the discussion in future. But just letting you know, the action was performed in the good interest of the discussion, it was not meant to offend mods or admins. And btw, who is this Everyone? Dave and Reverb never officially warned me to stop taking mod actions. They just personally told me on other messenger platforms to use my rights well. I had not even seen that msg of Dave on 29th of June on your talk page. So was completely unaware as mods have problem with me too. Only if I would have seen that message, I would not have taken any mod actions. It was just you who warned me once not to take mod actions so saying that you repeatedly warned me doesn't make sense actually. Thanks. Newt Strike (talk) 07:42, July 19, 2019 (UTC)
I didn't think I would have to tell you not to. You know your GDM guidelines, we should not have to remind you of them. If an admin tells you not to do something, do you really think me or Reverb would say anything different? <spanstyle="font-family:Georgia">— <spanstyle="font-weight:light"><spanstyle="color:lightblue; font-style:italic">Harrypotterexpert101</span> <spanstyle="color:lightblue">(talk)</span> </span></span> 17:10, July 19, 2019 (UTC)
- Of course, but you know Reverb actually once told me that he had no problems with my mod actions before I asked the same to an admin who refused my request. So, I was in the impression that from mod's side, I have the permission. But of course, you made it clear on yak's page that both of u don't want me to moderate the board which I, unfortunately, didn't happen to notice. Only if that msg was written on my talk page, things would have been clearer for me. And, yes, I don't think mods/ admins always kind of share the same opinion. There might be differences in them so I actually believed a warning was warranted to me before blocking my account. An official warning on my talk page clearly stating the consequences of not stopping the use of GDM rights. As said in my block reason, I was repeatedly warned of that but unfortunately, that's not true.
Newt Strike (talk) 06:47, July 20, 2019 (UTC)
Was this communication with Reverb conducted in Discussions or on the wiki (i.e. do you have a link?) Regardless, you asked directly here and were given a direct answer from an admin specifying not to use your GDM rights here. You also are aware of the GDM guidelines so you have been instructed repeatedly not to interfere in communities that have active Mods and Admins. Given that you have chosen not to listen and acted against these requests repeatedly after you were informed, a short ban was imposed to make it clear your actions will result in consequences, regardless of whether or not you agree with it. This should be more than abundantly clear so as your ban expires please resist the temptation to test these boundaries. --Ironyak1 (talk) 07:29, July 20, 2019 (UTC)
- Unfortunately, the conversation was on slack but I don't want to involve Reverb in this. So yeah, it's pretty much clear to me now. But I'm not really ashamed of this block cuz it was in the good interest of the discussion. And sometimes, we have to break rules to act in the good interest of the community. I tend to believe in the intent or the spirit of the rules rather than the mere words. But I promise something like this will not happen in future, I will take a blind eye on things which are against ToU. Thanks.
Newt Strike (talk) 08:05, July 20, 2019 (UTC)
- A little correction here, there was a conversation going on and you asked if GDMs could use their rights with Dmod's permission and I said if even a regular user ask you as a GDM, then also you can exercise your GDM rights on the Dboard but here(on HPW) we have an admin who is actively contributing to the Dboard and hence even if I say yes, you would need permission of the user who is above me/Dave in user rights hierarchy. Perhaps you misunderstood this line as a green flag from me to use your rights. I sincerely apologise for having created this misconception.
- Also for what it matters Dave and I had a conversation shortly after your GDM appointment, on wattpad and there Dave suggested that it would be ok if Newt deleted spam(I would like to also mention that it was probably way before Dave may have noticed that GDMs can't do so unless a community explicitly asks a GDM to do so.) but I suggested that as much as I'd want Newt to use his rights, I would want him to do so in the name of Dmod(which IMO is a befitting title for Newt.) and not as a GDM for 1) It is a violation of our norms of not indulging in wiki moderation activity of wikis with active mods/admins in past 30 days. 2) That is not how I want him to help this community.
- Though there is no such rule, it is advisable to not block users with global rights, instead report the issue to FANDOM staff or Wiki Managers so that they can talk with the user in question and help resolve the issue from its roots. If the complaint doesn't work in stopping then you can feel free to take suitable action(Although it works differently for different user groups, so let us just talk about GDMs here). (Also just so it is clear this is simply a suggestion to avoid friction between certain users with rights and local staff.) Reverb frost (talk)
I'm guessing you're referring to Interdepartmental memos and Memorandum Rodentium, both of which have articles, although both could probably used some additional details and cross-links to each other. Cheers --Ironyak1 (talk) 05:58, August 13, 2019 (UTC)
Stuff on Dboard
Compliment: I love your profile picutre! Julesandherbooks (talk) 04:06, November 11, 2019 (UTC) I also like the quotes on your profile. It's a good idea! Julesandherbooks (talk) 23:43, February 21, 2020 (UTC)
04:42, November 11, 2019 (UTC)
RE Some concerns
Hey there. As for the Harry Potter Wizards Unite wiki, congrats on being bureaucrat. I could see adding a link to this wiki's main page in the Other wiki category. As for linking in the Discussions Guidelines, I would want to check with the current Mods at to their thoughts. In a brief look at the Wizards Unite Discussions, there doesn't seem to be any restrictions or guidance to focus on the game so it appears to be a general HP Discussions (which we already have here ;) If there was a organized post or topic over there I could see possibly crosslinking/promoting it for people here who want to find others there who want to chat more in depth about WU. Feel free to raise the idea in the MoM Discussion Thread.
As for being a Discussions Mod here, you'll need to check in with the current Mods and get their buy-in. I don't spend as much time there as I used to (by their request) so I don't know what the needs really are currently. Cheers --Ironyak1 (talk) 06:03, March 10, 2020 (UTC)
- I'm not sure what you are asking for - please bring up your ideas with the Mods on the MoM thread. They have the best perspective on where Discussions is at currently. Cheers --Ironyak1 (talk) 19:03, March 10, 2020 (UTC)
- I came here to say the above exactly (with the difference that I'm even less connected with Discussions), but Ironyak beat me to it! If the current Discussions Mods think your help would be useful, then by all means I'll upgrade your permissions. Cheers! -- 19:56, March 10, 2020 (UTC)
Hello! You responded to my help post, and you seem like you know what you're doing. If I were to start a live discussion do I get to send it out to certain people or does everyone see it?
Also sorry if I shouldn't be sending this to you, I don't know who else to ask. I don't even know if I'm sending this message right.