At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
It becomes more difficult with the complexity of the animal to be vanished; for instance, a snail, as an invertebrate, is rather simple, whereas the mouse, as a mammal, presents a great challenge. The greatest challenge, however, is the vanishment of a kitten, which Hermione Granger managed to do by mid-year.
Certain objects can be enchanted to resist Vanishing Spells, such as fireworks. For example, Fred and George Weasley charmed their fireworks so that if anyone attempted to Vanish them, not only would they remain but would multiply by ten each time.
During the 1995–1996 school year, Professor Minerva McGonagall introduced this spell in her very first Transfiguration class with the fifth year students, giving them a lecture and then setting them on vanishing snails.
When none of the students except Hermione Granger could perform the spell properly, Professor McGonagall told the students to practise the spell overnight, for a fresh start the next day. In their second lesson, the students were given questions on the Vanishing Spell for homework. On 6 September, however, the students were given a break from this spell and instead were given a long and difficult essay on the Inanimatus Conjurus Spell.
Later on in the year, Professor McGonagall returned the class to Vanishing Spells, this time working to make mice disappear. However, in the week leading up to the Gryffindor-Slytherin match, she abstained from giving them homework so that the Gryffindor Quidditch team could practise.
|Bill Weasley||August 1995||Bill used this spell to make a stack of scrolls disappear while cleaning up after a meeting of the Order of the Phoenix during Harry's first night at number twelve, Grimmauld Place.|
|Severus Snape||1995||Snape used this spell to get rid of Harry's less-than-perfect first attempt at a Draught of Peace.|
|Harry Potter||June 1996||Harry vanished the whole of an iguana during his practical Transfiguration O.W.L.|
|Fifth years||One task on the practical Transfiguration O.W.L. was Vanishment.|
Behind the scenes
- This spell is referred to by Professor McGonagall in its plural form when she introduces it, along with Conjuring Spells, in 1995.
- Harry Potter may have used this spell unintentionally to make the glass at the Zoo disappear.
- In 1992, after being forced to take a photo with Gilderoy Lockhart for Colin Creevey and then asked to sign it, Harry wished he knew a good Vanishing Spell to escape the embarrassment.
- In May 1993, Neville Longbottom may have used this spell unintentionally during a Transfiguration lesson, in which Professor McGonagall stated that all students would still be having their end of year exams in one week, despite the attacks on students and the suspension of Albus Dumbledore and Rubeus Hagrid. Neville's wand slipped and one of the legs on his desk vanished after hearing the announcement.
- In "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot" from The Tales of Beedle the Bard , the son of the original owner of the pot tries to Vanish the pot, but the spell has no effect.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First mentioned) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First identified as Vanishing Spell)
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 15 (The Hogwarts High Inquisitor)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 5 (The Order of the Phoenix)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 13 (Detention with Dolores)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 16 (In The Hog's Head)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 3 (All About Bowtruckles) - Transfiguration Lesson "Evanesco"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 14 (Percy and Padfoot)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 19 (The Lion and the Serpent)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 20 (Hagrid's Tale)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 31 (O.W.L.s)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Magic Awakened
- ↑ The Tales of Beedle the Bard (real)
- ↑ Evanesco on Google Translate
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 6 (Gilderoy Lockhart)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 16 (The Chamber of Secrets)
- ↑ The Tales of Beedle the Bard - "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot"