- "Inside were mounds of gold coins. Columns of silver. Heaps of little bronze Knuts."
- —Description of the interior of the Potter vault[src]
Vault 687 in Gringotts Wizarding Bank belongs to the Potter family. It appears to be of moderate depth and deeper underground than the vault of the Weasley family, but not as deep as Vault 713. It is accessible only by a Mine Cart operated by one of the bank's goblin employees, and by using a small gold key.
In the summer of 1991, Harry Potter was escorted to Gringotts by Rubeus Hagrid, and learned that his late parents had left him a small fortune in their vault, of which his guardians knew nothing. This was very fortunate for Harry, since they would have surely taken most, if not all, as "proper compensation" for "opening their home" to him.
In the summer 1992, when Harry went to withdraw some funds for his school supplies, he felt rather awkward with the Weasley family accompanying him, since his vault contains far more money than theirs, and he tried to cover up their view from the contents within his vault as he hastily shovelled money into his bag.
In the summer of 1996, due to the tightened security brought on by the Second Wizarding War, it was taking the public hours to access their vaults. Being a bank employee, Bill Weasley was able to circumvent this and obtained gold from this vault in order for Harry to buy school supplies.
Behind the scenes
- The Potters' vault is identified as number 687 in the film adaptations.
- In the Game Boy Advance version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the Potters' vault is instead identified as Vault 704.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (First identified as Vault 687)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (GBC version only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
|Gringotts Wizarding Bank|
|Positions||Head Goblin · Head Curse-Breaker · Curse-Breaker · Gringotts Guards ·
Gringott's Dragon · Vaults Guardian
|Vaults||Vault 1 · Vault 2 · Vault 3 · Vault 619 · Vault 687 · Vault 688 · Vault 711 · Vault 712 · Vault 713 · Vault 998 · Lestrange Vault · Spellbook vault · Weasley Vault|
|Goblins||Blordak · Bogrod · Gornuk · Griphook · Nagnok · Ragnok · Ricbert · Snaglok · Unnamed Head Goblin · Unnamed Stockbroker Goblin · Unnamed goblin guard · Unnamed spokesgoblin|
|Unnamed goblins: I · II · III · IV · V · VI · VII · VIII · IX · X · XI · XII|
|Humans||Fleur Delacour · Marius · Patricia Rakepick · Teffington · Tertius · Bill Weasley · Unidentified Gringotts guard|
|Others||Follo · Fractcumulus · Frantielo · Hadkiss · Nimbley · Nimbostratus · Rabat · Sickleworth · Willowborough|