|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The topic of this article is of a real-life subject that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really exists), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
- "Hermione jumped and returned at once to her star-chart; Harry looked down at his own and noticed that he had mis-labelled Venus as Mars. He bent to correct it."
- —Harry Potter while taking his Astronomy O.W.L.[src]
Venus is a planet in the Solar System. It is discussed in Astronomy classes at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and possibly in Divination classes as well. It was part of the O.W.L. practical examination for Astronomy in the 1995–1996 school year.
Behind the scenes
- In Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, it is stated that the Astronomy O.W.L. began at 11 o'clock at night, and Harry observed Venus. In the real world, Venus can only be observed shortly before sunrise, or shortly after sunset, but it can never be seen at midnight.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
Notes and references
|Professors: Aurora Sinistra|
|Astronomy at Hogwarts: Astronomy department · Astronomy Tower · Astronomy Room · Astronomy Stairs · Astronomy Corridor · Astronomy reading room · |
|Astronomers: Aurora Sinistra · Copernicus · George von Rheticus · Perpetua Fancourt · Hesper Starkey|
|Objects: Globe of the Moon · Lunascope · Moon chart · Orrery · Star chart · Telescope|
|Planets: Jupiter · Mars · Mercury · Neptune · Pluto · Saturn · Uranus · Venus|
|Satellites: Callisto · Europa · Ganymede · Io · Moon|
|Constellations: Bartholomeus · Orion|