The Verdimillious Charm (Verdimillious) is a charm that emits green sparks from the wand. These sparks can be used to reveal objects hidden by Dark Arts and can be used offensively in a duel.
The Verdimillious Charm has several uses. They can be used offensively in duelling, in which one waves his or her wand in a circular motion overhead whilst slowly saying the incantation, aiming for nothing but thin air, thereby causing an orb of glowing green energy to be thrown from the wand tip, exploding several feet away in a blinding flash of emerald light and illuminating the entire room for a short period of time.
So long as the emerald light from the spell lasts, objects such as platforms or doors that have been hidden by Dark magic will be revealed, so that they are temporarily visible and tangible again, until the spell's effects end.
Professor Quirinus Quirrell taught his first year Defence Against the Dark Arts students this spell in the 1991–1992 school year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, something the Ministry of Magic approved of.
- All other first years in the 1991-1992 school year
The incantation "verdimillious" most likely derives from the Latin word "viridis", meaning "green" and French "mille", meaning "a thousand"; this most likely reflects the thousands of green sparks produced.
Behind the scenes
- Given that this spell's effects are identical to those of the Green Sparks mentioned in the books, it is almost certain that "Verdimillious" is just the incantation for Green Sparks, not unlike how "Vermillious" is the incantation for Red Sparks.
- This charm appears to be related to Red Sparks given their similar incantations and effects.
- A modifier can be used to produce the Verdimillious Duo and Verdimillious Tria charms.
- Although this spell produces green sparks, it is erroneously red in the PlayStation version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
- This spell was originally supposed to appear in the PC version of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, along with a variety of other spells, but was cut from the final project. The reason for this is unknown.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (GBA version)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (GBA version)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (GBC version)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 15 (The Hogwarts High Inquisitor)