Viktor Krum's wand was 10¼" long, made of hornbeam wood, and had a dragon heartstring core. It was one of the last wands sold by famed wandmaker Gregorovitch. Garrick Ollivander described the wand as being thicker than normal and "quite rigid".
Before the start of the Triwizard Tournament in 1994, Viktor and the three other champions had their wands weighed and tested by Gervaise Ollivander in a Wand weighing ceremony, which was held in a fairly small classroom in Hogwarts Castle. Ollivander identified the materials, length and characteristics of Krum's wand, and tested it with the Bird-Conjuring Charm. Ollivander deemed Krum's wand to be in good working condition, which allowed him to use it through the Triwizard Tournament in 1994-1995.
During the first task of the Triwizard Tournament, Krum used the Conjunctivitis Curse against his dragon, a female Chinese Fireball, which blinded her, causing her to crush some of her eggs, which lost him points. During the second task which took place in the Great Lake, he transformed himself into a shark so he could swim underwater, albeit badly. During the third task in the Triwizard Maze, he was placed under the Imperius Curse by Bartemius Crouch Junior, in which Barty made him use the Cruciatus Curse on Cedric Diggory.
In 1997, Harry Potter realised through his connection to Lord Voldemort that the Dark Lord was seeking Gregorovitch, but could not recall where he had heard the name before, only being able to recall that it was somehow connected to Quidditch.
When he spoke to Viktor at the wedding of Bill Weasley and Fleur Delacour in 1997, Harry recalled suddenly that he had heard the name when he saw the wand-weighing ceremony. Viktor was somewhat alarmed that Harry, who was disguised as a Weasley cousin at the time, knew anything about his wand, as he never spoke to the public about it.
Behind the scenes
- It is possible that the wand entry on Pottermore may be a reference to Krum's wand, as Ollivander states that hornbeam wands generally lean towards wizards with a lifelong obsession. Krum is said to be obsessed with Quidditch.
- In the film, the wand appears with a light colour, is curved at the handle and the tip, and does not have a separate handle. At the end of the handle is a roughly carved face that resembles a bird.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 18 (The Weighing of the Wands)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 8 (The Wedding)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 20 (The First Task)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 26 (The Second Task)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 35 (Veritaserum)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 31 (The Third Task)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 7 (The Will of Albus Dumbledore)