- "...he knelt over Malfoy, drew his wand and traced it over the deep wounds Harry's curse had made, muttering an incantation that sounded almost like song. The flow of blood seemed to ease; Snape wiped the residue from Malfoy's face and repeated his spell. Now the wounds seemed to be knitting."
Vulnera Sanentur is the song-like incantation of a healing spell and counter-curse to Sectumsempra, both of which were invented by Professor Severus Snape under his alias of "Half-Blood Prince".
For maximum effect of the spell, the incantation had to be repeated thrice; firstly slowing the flow of blood to prevent death by exsanguination; the second to clear residue and begin to heal the wounds; and the third to fully knit the wounds, although dittany had to be applied to prevent scarring.
Behind the scenes
- Body parts that had been completely removed with Sectumsempra could not be restored even using this spell.
- When Harry saw the damage inflicted onto Bill Weasley's face by the werewolf Fenrir Greyback, he suggested to Madam Pomfrey to heal him with a charm, being influenced by seeing how Snape used this spell to heal Draco, until he was notified that cursed wounds cannot be healed by charms.
- In the book, after cursing Malfoy, Harry stayed in the sixth-floor boys' bathroom where the skirmish occurred, thus witnessed Snape's use of the spell; in the film, he ran straight to his common room.
- Albus Dumbledore may have used this spell to heal a wound made to his hand in the Crystal Cave.
- Poppy Pomfrey may have used this spell to repair a nasty cut to Harry Potter's shoulder after he was attacked by a Hungarian Horntail in the First Task of the Triwizard Tournament.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (First identified as Vulnera Sanentur)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 20 (The First Task)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 3.9 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 24 (Sectumsempra)
- ↑ vulnus on Wiktionary
- ↑ sanare on Wiktionary
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 5 (Fallen Warrior)