At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "He groped behind him and she forced the bundle of slippery cloth into his free hand. With difficulty he dragged it over himself, murmured, 'Nox,' extinguishing his wand light, and continued on his hands and knees, as silently as possible..."
- — Harry extinguishing his wand whilst crawling through the tunnel into the Whomping Willow[src]
The Wand-Extinguishing Charm was invented by the same witch who invented the Wand-Lighting Charm, Levina Monkstanley. She invented the Wand-Lighting charm in the 18th century and invented the Wand-Extinguishing Charm around that time too, otherwise her wand would remain lighted indefinitely.
This spell was taught to first year students in Charms class at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the 1984–1985 school year by Professor Filius Flitwick. It is also detailed in The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection, and Book of Spells.
|Harry Potter||6 June, 1994||He used it when trying to gain entry to the upstairs of the Shrieking Shack unobserved. Also used when Harry was in the passage beneath the Whomping Willow which leads to the Shrieking Shack.|
|August, 1997||Harry used this spell while the Trio was hiding in 12 Grimmauld Place during August after the fall of the ministry.|
|September, 1997||Harry used this in the forest while the Trio was on their hunt for Horcruxes, after infiltrating the ministry.|
|Hermione Granger||6 June, 1994||She used it when trying to gain entry to the upstairs of the Shrieking Shack unobserved. Also used when Harry was in the passage beneath the Whomping Willow which leads to the Shrieking Shack.|
In Latin, "nox" means "night." Nox is also the name of the Roman Goddess of night derived from Nyx (Greek goddess of darkness and night).
Behind the scenes
- In most of the video games, the Wand-Lighting Charm is extinguished by itself after some time, not requiring this spell.
- On any Android phone (on Lollipop or better), if a user types Nox in the search bar on the Google app, the torch will turn off. Respectively, Lumos turns it on.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Cut from final edit)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Pottermore (First identified as Wand-Extinguishing Charm)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) - Chapter 17 (Who's There?)
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells - see this video
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Chapter 6 (A Curious Corridor) - Charms Lesson "Nox"
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 17 (Cat, Rat and Dog)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 32 (The Elder Wand)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 10 (Kreacher's Tale)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 19 (The Silver Doe)