They were part of the Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes range of products. They were unstoppable fireworks that were charmed to explode when struck with the Stunning Spell, and to multiply by ten when hit with the Vanishing Spell.
They included shocking-pink Catherine wheels, fire-breathing dragons, sparklers that spell out profanity, rockets with long tails of silver stars and firecrackers. When any two types collided, they made new kinds such as flying silver and pink pigs. It cost nine Sickles and twenty-four Knuts.
Whiz-bangs are sold in at least two types of packages:
History of use
- Hermione: "They were wonderful fireworks."
- George: "Thanks. Weasleys' Wildfire Whiz-bangs. Only thing is, we used our whole stock; we’re going to have to start again from scratch now."
- Fred: "It was worth it, though."
- — Fred and George Weasley and Hermione Granger talking about these fireworks[src]
Fred and George set off their entire supply in April of 1996 as part of their rebellion against the authority of Dolores Umbridge, the High Inquisitor and new Headmistress. Chaos ensued, Umbridge was outraged, many other professors neglected to assist her, and other students were ecstatic. Even Hermione Granger, despite generally disapproving of the twins' antics as a Prefect, joined in congratulating Fred and George on the act. The twins received many orders for the Whiz-bangs after the display.
Behind the scenes
- There are evidently methods of stopping the fireworks, since they are eventually stopped. It is never made clear if only the professors of Hogwarts could do this, after obtaining the "authority" to do so from Dolores Umbridge, or if she could do it herself. It is also possible that some of the fireworks eventually burned themselves out.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Fred and George set off the fireworks in the middle of the Charms O.W.L.. Some of the fireworks went after Draco Malfoy, Vincent Crabbe, and Gregory Goyle. Fred and George then set off a dragon-shaped firework, which went after Umbridge. Just outside the Great Hall, its jaws closed around her causing it to explode and destroy all of Umbridge's Educational Decrees.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Disc 2)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault (Concept artwork)
- Fred and George Weasley's departure from Hogwarts
- Explosive Enterprises
- Box 'O' Rockets
- Spectrum Splasher