At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- Cecil Lee: "I'm here by Headmaster Dumbledore's request on behalf of the Werewolf Capture Unit. We're a part of the Beast Division of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures charged with —"
- Jacob's sibling: "Capturing werewolves."
- Cecil Lee: "Affirmative."
- — An exchange between Cecil Lee of the Werewolf Capture Unit and Jacob's sibling.[src]
The Werewolf Capture Unit was a part of the Beast Division of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, tasked with the capture of any werewolves deemed to be a threat.
On a case-by-case basis, the Unit had to determine if the werewolf in question could, once returned to human form, be released back into society (as in the event of an otherwise well-meaning wizard losing control during a full moon), or if they were "too far gone" in the sense that they were attacking people intentionally (such as Fenrir Greyback and his followers), in which case it was implied that they might be disposed of.
According to Cecil Lee, hunting werewolves was a very dangerous line of work, with many of the unit's members ending up bitten, eaten or lost in the woods or in towns while in process of hunting them down. Members of the Werewolf Capture Unit were capable of detecting if werewolves had been present in an area, being able to recognise a certain distinct smell that they left behind, distinguish werewolf saliva by its appearance and texture and recognise werewolf hair with a glance. When they searched for clues of werewolf activity, they would look for 'werewolf bits and bobs', such as pieces of their fur, fangs, as well as look for paw prints and claw marks. They would also use howls similar to those made by werewolves to draw them out. While the Werewolf Capture Unit members were adequate at capturing werewolves, they were not very good at holding them; as a result, werewolf escapes from the Werewolf Capture Unit were commonplace.
Their helmet plate had the silhouette of a howling werewolf against a white full moon. They wore formation patches on their uniform tailcoats, showing a black paw-print on a white oval, embroidered on both their upper arms just below the shoulder seams.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First mentioned)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (First appearance)