At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "Oh, she was perfect, obviously. Perfect deliberation, divination, and desperation or whatever the hell it is — we all went for a quick drink in the Three Broomsticks after and you should've heard Twycross going on about her — I'll be surprised if he doesn't pop the question soon —"
- — Ron Weasley on Twycross's favourable treatment of Hermione Granger[src]
Wilkie Twycross (b. before 1979) was a British wizard and employee of the British Ministry of Magic, who was the Apparition Instructor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to students who were age seventeen or approaching age seventeen and wish to obtain a licence to Apparate.
1990–1991 school year
- "Now, late or not you must listen to the Rules of Conduct for Students Visiting the Ministry of Magic, and you will obey them to the letter. Listen carefully, and I will consider taking questions afterwards."
- — Wilkie Twycross to Jacob's sibling after they arrived at the Ministry[src]
During the 1990–1991 school year, Twycross was the supervisor of Ministry assignments of seventh-year students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Before the students' first assignments, he gave them a lecture on the Rules of Conduct for Students Visiting the Ministry of Magic. Later, he met Jacob's sibling, a student who arrived late, taught them the rules of conduct and gave them a visitor badge for their credentials.
1996–1997 school year
During the 1996–1997 school year, Twycross would give sixth-year students Apparition classes in the Great Hall at Hogwarts. Upon meeting Twycross, Harry Potter described him as "oddly colourless, with transparent eyelashes, wispy hair, and an insubstantial air, as though a single gust of wind might blow him away." He wondered whether this was because of the large amount of Apparating and Disapparating he did.
Many of the sixth year students in Twycross's Apparition class disliked and called him various insults, inspired by the "Three D's of Apparition" that he tried to teach them. The most moderate of these were "dog-breath" and "dung-head." Perhaps because of this, Twycross seemed very fond of his few good students, such as Hermione Granger.
Magical abilities and skills
- "He waved his wand. Old-fashioned wooden hoops instantly appeared on the floor in from of every student."
- — Twycross conjuring wooden hoops during an Apparition lesson[src]
- Apparition: As the Apparition Instructor for sixth year Hogwarts students, Twycross would have been highly accomplished in apparition as a form of magical transportation. He had a very sophisticated understanding of the art of apparition, teaching his students the specifics needed to apparate successfully and the dangers of it, showing his proficiency in this field.
- Transfiguration: Twycross was able to conjure wooden hoops during an Apparition lesson in the Great Hall simply with a wave of his wand. Conjuration was known to be a particularly difficult branch of transfiguration.
- Nonverbal magic: Twycross was able to conjure hoops without saying an incantation, which is very advanced magic.
Wilkie is a surname used in Scotland and England possibly a diminutive of William. Twycross is a small village and civil parish in Leicestershire, England. Also twy- is an archaic form of two so his surname could literally mean two-cross, or one who crosses between two places; hence, one who Apparates.
Behind the scenes
- It is most likely that Twycross worked for the Department of Magical Transportation, given his profession as an Apparition Instructor.
- It is interesting to note that Rowling was reading Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone when she was writing Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, so it is possible that it is where she got the name.
- Czech: Wilkie Křížek (křížek "little cross")
- Dutch: Wilco Draaisma (draai "turn")
- French: Wilkie Tycross
- Hungarian: Wilkie Derreng
- Japanese: ウィルキー・トワイクロス
- Russian: Уилки Двукрест (Wilkie Dvukrest)
- Ukrainian: Вілкі Твайкрос (Vilki Tvaykros)
The following languages are the same as the original:
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references