At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "Every year, I am afraid to say, seems to harbour at least one student who thinks that he or she can get around the Wizarding Examinations Authority's rules."
- — Attempted cheating on the O.W.L. exams[src]
The Wizarding Examinations Authority was a group of wizards and witches who examined students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry during their O.W.L. and N.E.W.T. examinations. The Wizarding Examinations Authority also verified the results for the W.O.M.B.A.T. tests.
The head of the Wizarding Examinations Authority was Griselda Marchbanks. A large group would travel to Hogwarts every year, received by the headmaster. Apart from Griselda Marchbanks, the only other known member of the examiners was Professor Tofty, who was known to be present at Hogwarts during the O.W.L.s for the 1988–1989 and 1995–1996 school years.
The theory portion of the O.W.L. test was invigilated by Hogwarts staff members (Flitwick administered the Defence Against the Dark Arts exam in the 1970s, while McGonagall oversaw the Charms O.W.L. for Harry Potter's class).
Draco Malfoy claimed that when it came to the O.W.L. and N.E.W.T. Wizarding Examinations Authority, it was "not what you know, it's who you know", claiming that Professor Marchbanks was an old friend of his family and that she has been their guest at dinner at least once. It is unknown whether Draco actually got his O.W.L.s because he knew the Authorities.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Mentioned on exam paper only)
- J. K. Rowling's official site (Mentioned on exam paper only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- Accio Quote!
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, "Ordinary Wizarding Levels" Achievement - Part 1, Side Quest "Take the O.W.L.s!"
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 31 (O.W.L.s)
- It has to be pointed out that this is probably false, as Neville Longbottom stated that Professor Marchbanks befriended his grandmother Augusta Longbottom, but he never heard her mentioning the Malfoys. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 31 (O.W.L.s)
|Ministry of Magic Departments|
|Archives · Committee on Experimental Charms · Department of Magical Artefacts · Department of Magical Education · Exploding Bonbons Disposal Unit · Magical Maintenance Department · Office for the Removal of Curses, Jinxes, and Hexes · Public Information Services · Remittance Office · Research Committee · Very Important Members of Section M.I. Trx. · Wizarding Examinations Authority|
|Committee on Experimental Charms Personnel|
|Balfour Blane · Gilbert Wimple|
|Department of Magical Artefacts Personnel|
|Sage Bragnam (Head Curator)|
|Magical Maintenance Department Personnel|
|Reginald Cattermole · Orford Umbridge · Lift attendant · Man|
|Research Committee Personnel|
|Phoebus Penrose (Head)|
|Wizarding Examinations Authority Personnel|
|Griselda Marchbanks · Professor Tofty · Unidentified plump little witch examiner · Unidentified examiner with a wart on his nose|