At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "Today is already progressing as the twigs described. The twigs, my children, are our instruments as we learn about Xylomancy. Please do not kick the sticks, unless you don't like what they have shown you. The twigs may reveal a great many things, if you know how to read the omens... What do you see? A pile of sticks or a tapestry of future events? Focus!"
- — Professor Sybill Trelawney to her sixth year Divination students[src]
Xylomancy was an "often overlooked" type of Divination that relies upon twigs.  According to Sybill Trelawney, it was an ancient method, and in order to be able to read the omens, one had to account for several aspects, such as the size, shape, and colour of the twigs. She also referred using only twigs and branches that have fallen naturally.
It was covered in the book Xylomancy by Selina Sapworthy. It was part of the sixth year Divination curriculum at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and at least once a specialised extracurricular class in the art was taught in the North Tower. Students learning about Xylomancy in the 1989–1990 school year were somewhat sceptical of the method: Talbott Winger deemed it "more absurd than reading tea leaves" and wondered, upon seeing a twig shaped like a hook, if it meant he would be killed by a pirate; Nymphadora Tonks could only tell that the twigs would make perfect kindling.
- Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (First mentioned)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Mentioned in newspaper)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (First appearance)
Notes and references
|Professors: Sybill Trelawney · Firenze|
|Known Seers: Calchas · Cassandra Vablatsky · Cassandra Trelawney · Gellert Grindelwald · Inigo Imago · Johan Hoffman · Liz Tuttle's mother · Mopsus · Professor Mopsus · Susie Sooth · Tycho Dodonus · Unidentified Canadian Seer · Unidentified female Seer · Unidentified male Seer|
|Textbooks: The Dream Oracle · Unfogging the Future|
|Methods: Astrology · Bibliomancy · Cartomancy · Catoptromancy · Crystal-gazing · Crystal ball · Dream interpretation · Fire-omens · Heptomology · Ichthyomancy · Myomancy · Ornithomancy · Ovomancy · Palmistry · Scrying mirror · Tarot cards · Tessomancy · Xylomancy|
|Divination at Hogwarts: Divination (class) · Divination Classroom · Divination staircase · Sybill Trelawney's office · Classroom 11 · Xylomancy (class)|