- "A native of Tibet, the yeti is believed to be related to the troll, though no one has yet got close enough to conduct the necessary tests. Up to fifteen feet in height, it is covered head to foot in purest white hair. The yeti devours anything that strays into its path, though it fears fire, and may be repulsed by skilled wizards."
- — Newton Scamander, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them[src]
Standing up to 15 feet tall, it was a snowy-white furred humanoid that may have been related to the troll. Yetis were one of the wizarding world's worst kept secrets, as there had been so many Muggle sightings of the Yeti. Because of this, Tibet had one of the worst wizarding secrecy records, due to its continuing breaches of Clause 73 of the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy. The International Confederation of Wizards had to place a permanent International Task Force up in the mountains to help control the situation.
The Yeti feared fire, allowing for skilled wizards and witches to repel it. However, the Yeti would attack and eat anything that it met, so no known witch or wizard had the opportunity to study it up close.
In 1992, Gilderoy Lockhart taught his second-year Defence Against the Dark Arts class about the Yeti, using his book Year with the Yeti. However, based on his fraudulence, his information was taken from a more accomplished wizard or witch and his own version was twisted with inaccuracy and arrogance.
Behind the scenes
- The Yeti is a mythological creature purported to live in the portions of the Himalayas encompassing Nepal and Tibet, generally considered in modern times to be a misidentification of various types of bear native to the region; or, alternatively, as a fictionalised form of the extinct ape Gigantopithecus, known to have inhabited the vicinity.
- The name "Abominable Snowman" derives from an account of a sighting of the creature in 1921 by a Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Howard-Bury. Bigfoot, on the other hand, describes a similar creature supposedly found in the Pacific Northwest of the United States, believed to have derived from a combination of local folklore and various hoaxes.
- In Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, a Yeti is somehow transported to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, since Yetis are alien to Scotland. However, this seems to contradict canon, namely Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, which states that the Yeti has never came into close contact with humans, due to its extremely violent and carnivorous nature, so it seems very odd that human wizards would be able to transport one globally.
- The Yeti appeared as the final boss of a special Forbidden Forest adventure in the 2021 December update of Harry Potter: Magic Awakened.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Mentioned only) (GBA version)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Mentioned in The Quibbler)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Pottermore (Appears on book cover)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened
Notes and references
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Side Quest "The Christmas Holidays"
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 10 (The Rogue Bludger)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 16 (The Chamber of Secrets)
|Magical creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|