At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
Standing up to 15 feet tall, it is a snowy-white furred humanoid that may be related to the troll. Yetis are one of the Wizarding world's worst kept secrets as there had been so many Muggle sightings of the Yeti. Because of this Tibet has one of the worst Wizarding secrecy records, due to its continuing breaches of Clause 73 of the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy. The International Confederation of Wizards had to place a permanent International Task Force up in the mountains to help control the situation.
The Yeti fears fire, allowing for skilled wizards and witches to repel it. However, the Yeti will attack and eat anything that it meets, so no witch or wizard has had the opportunity to study it up close yet.
In 1992, Gilderoy Lockhart taught his second year Defence Against the Dark Arts class about the Yeti, using his book Year with the Yeti. However, based on his fraudulence, his information is taken from a more accomplished wizard or witch and his own version was twisted with inaccuracy and arrogance.
Behind the scenes
- The Yeti is a mythological creature purported to live in the portions of the Himalayas encompassing Nepal and Tibet, generally considered in modern times to be a misidentification of various types of bear native to the region, or a hybrid species of bear.
- The name "Abominable Snowman" derives from an account of a sighting of the creature in 1921 by a Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Howard-Bury. Bigfoot, on the other hand, describes a similar creature supposedly found in the Pacific Northwest of the United States, believed to have derived from a combination of local folklore, misidentification of local fauna, and various hoaxes.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Mentioned only) (GBA version)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Mentioned in The Quibbler)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Side Quest "The Christmas Holidays"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 10 (The Rogue Bludger)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 16 (The Chamber of Secrets)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|